Suggestions for land use

Help Support CattleToday:

moocow

Reaction score
This is a bit complicated, but I'll try to keep it short. I will be receiving 11 cow/calf pairs this november from my hay partner who is retiring. I will feed his cows, along with mine, until this spring. He will sell this years calves next spring. What will happen to the cows and next years calves is yet to be determined. 2/3 of the hay from this year to be fed is mine and 1/3 is from his pastures. We used his equipment to bale and he is bringing in more hay rings to use over the winter, as well as, providing a silage bag. Question is: Would a steer from his group this year be too much to ask for services provided, (feeding and watering all winter). More detail can be provided if necessary.
We have a very good working relationship, hard earned, and I don't want to step over my bounds. More than likely I will be keeping his cows and next years calves for 2007-2008, but that's another thread.

If you mean that when he compeltely retires after he sells this years calfs you get to keep the 11 cows, then yeah, I think asking for a calf this year is to much.

Nope. Eventually all of his cows and calves will go. I guess for the purpose of this discussion, lets assume that all cows and calves will go next spring.

if he is that good of a friend, he will not want to step over his bounds either. discuss it with him and take what ever he offers, even if it is nothing. a good friendship is worth more than tending to a few cows for a winter.

jmo

jt

jt":1l1o19we said:
if he is that good of a friend, he will not want to step over his bounds either. discuss it with him and take what ever he offers, even if it is nothing. a good friendship is worth more than tending to a few cows for a winter.

jmo

jt

I know some old timers that I would do it for. But there are some of the others too.

I know what I need to do. I think the extra work that it will take to bring these head on and take care of them properly got me off track. Friendship in general, not to mention the cattle world, requires us to go with the gut feeling and what is right.

Latest posts