Sudden death

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
We just found a seven year old cow lying dead in the midst of the herd. She had not struggled at all and was at the hay feeder this morning. No sign of injury or disease either. We are pretty much flummoxed and think it must have been her heart. Not a good day.

Been there, had that happen. Up and fine one day, down and dead the next.

Saw something today that unnerved me. Started with a 3 year old challenging a 4 year old for herd position. Fine. Then an older cow joined and on the 4 year old. Still fine. By the time I got out there, the 4 year old was on the ground and couldn't get up. They'd beaten her nearly to death. I got her back on her feet and, no sooner had I done that, than the two came back at her again. Anyway, one more way to wake up one morning, find a dead one, and wonder what happened.

Yrs. ago had one die similarly. Eating at bunk at 9:00 and found her dead at 11:30. Had her posted and all her organs were a very pale pink. Hardly any color to them. Can't remember all what vet. said, but he said it was from eating noxious weeds. I had cleaned up the pasture and had dang few weeds in it, just a few thistles, but he said it could have been yrs. before I had cleaned it up.

ALACOWMAN":1kjtrhmi said:
what kind of hay..? was it the same as the rest or recently purchased

She was eating the same hay as usual and pasture was sprayed for weeds last summer. In fact the haying pasture had been sprayed for weeds so the hay was clean. Just have to say it was one of those things. We have had cows react to death before but this one was really something. When we moved the dead cow, the whole herd got wildly excited and we even had a heifer in another pasture jump the fence to get closer. The bulls started fighting and a cow that was the most hysterical jumped into the middle of that and ran them both off. Three ring circus for a while.