sudden death of calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I raise reg. angus cows. One of my cows had a heifer in sept. <br>Everything was going ok, went out checked cows and calves on a thursday<br>around 1p.m. all cows and calves were grazing and there seem to be no problems.<br>Went back friday around 10 a.m., at which time i found the sept calf dead.<br>There were no apparent injuries, such as a blow to the body or any blood found.<br>The only thing that was different about this calf was she wasn't<br>has black as usual she had more brown or red color hair. someone indicated<br>that she could have had a mineral diffency. I know i'm not giving much info<br>but are there anything i should be looking for.<br>Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Generally, the mineral deficiency that shows in a coat color is copper deficiency, which makes Herefords look orange rather than browny-red.<p>Also, a mineral deficiency would be unlikely to show up in only one animal, assuming they are all in the same paddock and all on the same feed.<p>Had you vaccinated the calves against the clostridial diseases, like blackleg? Some of them can cause sudden death. Another cause of sudden death in calves is ingesting lead-based paint by nibbling on a painted fence (not too likely in the US, where I believe lead-based paints have been proscribed for years).<p>My vet also says to give the mothers a 5-in-1 booster between 5 and 8 months prior to birth to help increase the antibodies in the colostrum.<p>Don't know if any of this applies. Sorry about your calf.<p>Liz Jacobsen<br>Oregon Park Maine Anjous<br>Buln Buln East, Victoria, Australia
<br>

[email protected]

Bruce, <p>Sorry about the loss of your calf. Have you considered calling your veterinarian out to do a post on the calf? It might be worth the expense if you can find out what caused this calf to die.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2zxt4rrb said:
: I raise reg. angus cows. One of my cows had a heifer in sept. <br>: Everything was going ok, went out checked cows and calves on a thursday<br>: around 1p.m. all cows and calves were grazing and there seem to be no problems.<br>: Went back friday around 10 a.m., at which time i found the sept calf dead.<br>: There were no apparent injuries, such as a blow to the body or any blood found.<br>: The only thing that was different about this calf was she wasn't<br>: has black as usual she had more brown or red color hair. someone indicated<br>: that she could have had a mineral diffency. I know i'm not giving much info<br>: but are there anything i should be looking for.<br>: Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks<p>Sorry about your calf. Since it's a single, I would be looking at something like coccidiosis spread by birds, or perhaps clinical BVD. Your best bet is a lab test, and then you may be guessing because a lab tech does not know what to look for. One problem we found in our angus was the denial by professionals that there could be BVD in our cows, and we lost nearly an entire calf crop before pushing the subject with the fourth vet who checked. I would sure be looking, however, because other calves could be subject to death at later dates. Consider the death of this calf as a warning that something is up until you find out otherwise. Good luck in your search!
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts