Sudan Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
Recently visited with a rancher who had several acres of this planted in several pastures. He had an electric fence around it, I suppose to keep the cattle out of it until it got grown to a certain point. Opinions please.

greenwillowherefords":2qyde38z said:
Recently visited with a rancher who had several acres of this planted in several pastures. He had an electric fence around it, I suppose to keep the cattle out of it until it got grown to a certain point. Opinions please.

On the electric fence? Or the Sudan? :roll: ;-) :roll: 8) :shock:

When I lived in Texas we planted sudan . cut it for hay and then after it regrew to about 18"-24" we turned the cattle in on it.

It worked well for us.

WORANCH":37nofwos said:
When I lived in Texas we planted sudan . cut it for hay and then after it regrew to about 18"-24" we turned the cattle in on it.

It worked well for us.

I've noticed a hand full of places around us that do the same thing. Cattle always look good.

Ryan

Grazing corn will provide more feed per acre than sudan if you have enough rain. Milo will also work for a summer annual. These late summer feeds are more expensive than permenent pasture, but they available when cool season grass is not growing well. Stockpiling grass is your other no hay option.

I grow both corn and Jap millet depending on the amount of time of year I plant. My cattle love me for it!

Sudan is a sorghum. I'm not an expert on Sudan grass, but I've been told that it can produce Prussic Acid like Johnsongrass at certain stages of growth and stress and can be toxic to cattle. Someone else may know more about this than I.

SF":2wi6dxsp said:
Sudan is a sorghum. I'm not an expert on Sudan grass, but I've been told that it can produce Prussic Acid like Johnsongrass at certain stages of growth and stress and can be toxic to cattle. Someone else may know more about this than I.

I found some additional info on the subject from a farmseeds.com
"SORGHUM x SUDANGRASS HYBRIDS
Variety: Summergrazer III
Summergrazwer III is a warm season annual that is very drought tolerant, and has rapid emergence. It produces fine stemmed, sweet succulent leaves. It is very palatable to livestock and has rapid re-growth. Summergrazer III has a crude protein of 9 to 12% and total digestable nutrients of 55 to 65%. These hybrids are adapted to the eastern half of the US except for extreme northern states.

For best results, begin grazing or hay harvest of Summergrazer III when the growth reaches about 18 to 30 inches. It is best NOT to graze closer than 4 to 6 inches. Summergrazer III should be rotationally grazed for greatest forage utilization. Avoid grazing new growth after a light frost or drought to reduce the change of prussic acid poisoning. During drougth Stress, the nitrate level should be checked to avoid nitrate toxicity.

Warning: DO NOT USE FOR HORSE PASTURAGE!
USES: Grazing cattle, green chop, hay and silage.

Latest posts