sucking problem

Help Support CattleToday:

halffastfarm

Reaction score
I bought 4 calves 7 wks ago, all have been bottle feeding fine and eating grain and grass,until today. One calf could not suck his bottle this AM., but drank out of a bucket OK. He's skinny and has scours also which i Have been treating with electrolytes. I have now separated him. This PM he was unable to drink from a bucket also. He licks and makes sucking noises (sounds normal)but isn't consuming the milk (hard as he tries). He's eating grass OK, but seems to have trouble with the grain also. Any ideas?

Does he act sick? How long has he been on grass? A bottle calf should be bugging the heck out of you looking to nurse. It could be grass scours but I'd give him a a shot of Baytril or Nuflor. How is his breathing? Does he have a snotty nose? At this age my guess would be some sort of respiratory ailment. Keep an eye on the other three. If he is scouring from the grass you may need to let him out a few hours a day until he gets used to the grass. Give him good hay and plenty of fresh water. Maybe Kaolin to dob him up. Good luck

i'd be giving him a shot of la200. it is broad spectrum & will cure, even if you are not sure what he has. i would give him some wormer, also

Thank You for your responses! This AM the calf refuses to drink at all! Water, milk,or electrolytes. Will not eat the grain either, Just grass. No snoty nose, or apparent breathing problems! Thanks again, Jacquie

You may want to look at getting your supplies ready to tube him. It looks as its about to come to that. I hope you have already given it meds, if not do so now.

Calf is on the way down. Do you have LA around? You will need it.

Call your vet and get what you need from him - he will tell you.

Hay and grain are not what this calf needs. It needs liquids and fast.

Tube time from the sounds of it.

Death will be soon if you do not act.

Bez

my boy has been down twice since hes been born, so the only thing i can say is personal experience recently

WE had to force feed him for a couple of days and what you are describing is exactally how mine started..
get him eating somehow and get a hold of a vet to get you something... nuflor worked wonders for mine... la200 was ok but temporary his symptoms came right back and check his temp to see where you stand on that

And listen to all the people on here they helped me soooo much i would have lost him if it wasn't for them

Thanks to all who responded. Yeatersday Am this calf took a turn for the better!! He yelled for his bottle! Is drinking and eating normally now! I was ready to give him antibiotics,but decided not to. I think maybe he was having problems because of a insect sting or plant reaction (thistle?) He appeared to have a problem with his tongue, but is now fine!!

halffastfarm said:
Thanks to all who responded. Yeatersday Am this calf took a turn for the better!! He yelled for his bottle! Is drinking and eating normally now! I was ready to give him antibiotics,but decided not to. I think maybe he was having problems because of a insect sting or plant reaction (thistle?) He appeared to have a problem with his tongue, but is now fine!!

Great, I would at least go ahead and get supplies ready for tubing. If you raise bottle calves its not a question of if you will need it but when. Also have supplies on hand for bloat and get some LA-200 or simular medication. Bottle calves can have some of the darnest things come up. Good Luck.

We always give our calves pro-biotic paste and that really helps get their stomachs back on track and it also really helps when they have the runs. Maybe just something else to have on hand.

Latest posts