Sucking/bunk jumping cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angus Show Cattle

Reaction score
I have a show cow that ive show for the past 3 years. Ive had her for her whole life and dont plan on selling her or eating her. She has a habit of jumping through the bunk to graze on the lawn. Last year she also got caught nursing on other cows a few times. We put a weaning nose ring on her and she simply flips it up and continues nursing. I'm afraid she will do it again this year. Im only 15 and my dad has threatened to sell her.
Please help!!!

Sell her, or keep her fenced/penned by herself or with steers or weaned calves. If she were mine I'd offload her. I did that a number of years ago with a very nice cow I had, but she had to go. I couldn't have her sucking the other cows, and I didn't have time to fool with putting nose flaps on her.

Son of Butch":13zck1e7 said:
Sell her and buy a puppy.
Wouldn't you like a cute, little, big eyed puppy?
Awww.... all better now?... there you go kitten... now off to bed, sweet dreams.
:lol:

Angus Show Cattle":1k1zrswe said:
I have a show cow that ive show for the past 3 years. Ive had her for her whole life and dont plan on selling her or eating her. She has a habit of jumping through the bunk to graze on the lawn. Last year she also got caught nursing on other cows a few times. We put a weaning nose ring on her and she simply flips it up and continues nursing. I'm afraid she will do it again this year. Im only 15 and my dad has threatened to sell her.
Please help!!!

Has she had a calf or have you tried to get her in calf? If not I would at least try and make her productive.

Ken

Angus Show Cattle":3qr8609w said:
I have a show cow that ive show for the past 3 years.
I've had her for her whole life and don't plan on selling her or eating her.
She has a habit of jumping through the bunk to graze on the lawn.
Last year she also got caught nursing on other cows a few times.
I'm only 15 and my dad has threatened to sell her.
Please help!!!
Fake post, by a first time poster.
15 yr olds don't say.... I'm ONLY 15... when I was 15 I already knew it all!
She's your parents cow that they let you play with, you've never had a job to buy her, so your plans don't matter.
No Puppy for you! :)

:welcome:
to the boards and looking forward to your next posting under your next new name.

Son of Butch":1dewq99a said:
Angus Show Cattle":1dewq99a said:
I have a show cow that ive show for the past 3 years.
I've had her for her whole life and don't plan on selling her or eating her.
She has a habit of jumping through the bunk to graze on the lawn.
Last year she also got caught nursing on other cows a few times.
I'm only 15 and my dad has threatened to sell her.
Please help!!!
She's your parents cow that they let you play with, you've never had a job to buy her, so your plans don't matter.

to the boards and looking forward to your next posting under your next new name.
because he/she is 15 they can't have a job? I started working at 14 and I was not the youngest kid in my family to get a job

Child labor laws... plus.
Show ring cow the last 3 years = 11 yrs old or less when cow arrived.
people that start working to earn enough to buy a cow by age 12 don't become whining little... only 15 year olds.
That pattern will continue as an excuse until their saying... I'm only 27 ... if habit/excuses aren't broken.

Son of Butch":1e7znjd8 said:
Angus Show Cattle":1e7znjd8 said:

SO, I just gotta say, not all kids are like that. My kids had money by that age to buy cattle, and in fact DID! We started them young, in 4-H, and they raised market pigs, lambs and goats for show and sold them through the auction (and paid us back).
Our first two cows we owned were bought by our oldest daughter as heifers and shown. One is still in the herd.... at the ripe age of 11 years. She will be buried on this farm, as we promised that to our oldest. She has raised 11 calves, but having a set of twins sure helped!

To the original poster, Angus Show Cattle, I agree with hot wire. Put up a strand or two of hot wire and that will stop her from jumping.
As far as sucking, you are using the wrong type of nose flap. There is one out there that has spikes on it. Put that in, with the spikes pointing up, and any cow she tries to suck will kick the crap out of her. LEAVE IT IN! We had a yearling that sucked the cows, so we put that spiked nose ring in and she never sucked again. She left this fall because she failed to breed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts