Successs with low(er) input alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I think I have underestimated boron needs in the past. I top dressed boron (3#/acre) and (1T/acre) lime last fall but refused to pay for more potash than the minimum needed to run the (boron) spreader. Then I grazed it really hard in November after freeze up. May not be a yield record but I now have the thickest looking third year alfalfa stand ever! This treatment seemed to have knocked the meadow fescue back and the alfalfa filled in. :shock:

Have you had any similar results?
Do legumes store a higher percentage of their energy in the roots than grass does?

Stocker Steve":19ki2yus said:
I think I have underestimated boron needs in the past. I top dressed boron (3#/acre) and (1T/acre) lime last fall but refused to pay for more potash than the minimum needed to run the (boron) spreader. Then I grazed it really hard in November after freeze up. May not be a yield record but I now have the thickest looking third year alfalfa stand ever! This treatment seemed to have knocked the meadow fescue back and the alfalfa filled in. :shock:

Have you had any similar results?
Do legumes store a higher percentage of their energy in the roots than grass does?

We always used a foliar application of Boron, but usually didnt have to apply it but maybe every 3rd year. pH on the other hand has to be maintained because without proper pH the plant is not able to take up the needed nutrients like P an K to give us our expected yeilds. Usually if we maintain a good Lime index we have had good stands that remain good stands for a good many years. And yes I think legumes store more of their much needed reserves in the roots. We would usually try to give our stands 40 days before a hard freeze to build up those reserves which I believe increases survival rates.

edrsimms":2f08ytuo said:
We always used a foliar application of Boron, but usually didnt have to apply it but maybe every 3rd year. pH on the other hand has to be maintained because without proper pH the plant is not able to take up the needed nutrients like P an K to give us our expected yeilds.

Do you base the Boron application on forage or soil testing?

Latest posts