Successfully Rehoming Dogs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We have tried to re home adult dogs to our farm. We tie them up initially while getting them used to us, animals, and riding in a pick up. Seems like a sweet job to me. Half of these dogs seem to be home bodies and are on the porch when you get up. Half seem to be in overdrive, will take off, and travel up to 10 to 15 miles in an afternoon for no obvious reason. They are not going to see a neighbor. They are lining out.

What breed(s) are good choices to stay home, tolerate cats, and keep an eye out for visitors?

How much do your odds of a stay at home dog go up when starting with a puppy?

We have 2 pb Aussies, older one is a dipsh*t and takes younger one with her. I have 2 houses within 500' of me and a popular gravel road for Side by sides drive down. Wife and kids are home 90% of time. Min they are not older dog takes off. Been tied, kenneled and really frustrates the wife. She is dog project leader for our county 4-H and really irritates me as 1 neighbor is a good friend and other I rent their pasture. I don't need problems with a dog!

Growing up we had 3 houses within 1/4 mile, very busy paved road 250' from house. Every PB expensive Aussie, Heeler, Lab, Terrier we ever had would go to other houses or get hit on road.

Had couple Cur x Heeler and Walker x Heeler dogs and them things never left and did exactly what your asking of a dog.
Brother in law has a Blue tick x Aussie/heeler. Great dog.

Friend of mine had an oops down here and has Walker x Aussie pups that are about ready to go for $100

Staying home is paramount for me. If they don't, I don't go after them. Some I take them back to the humane society.
Went through four last time before I found a lab cross that was what I wanted. She last 8 years before passing.
One of the four traveled about 5 miles into the city where a man caught her at the Walmart. He liked her so I gave her to him.

Now I have a cur that stays home well but doesn't bark and doesn't like to ride in the pickup or side x side. She basically worthless but is very sweet and no trouble at all so she is still here for now. The search for a good pooch is ongoing.

Latest posts