Success!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
I finally got the long awaited vacation, I been waitin on.

Or so I thought. :shock:

Somewhere on the trip back home from Florida, I came up with the bright idea, that it was time to build a shed to put the haltered calves in. The old barn that was on the place had seen its better days a hundred years ago, and I had to take it down, before it fell on the stock. After arriving home late Tuesday night, I fell into the job with a frenzy on Wednesday morning.

As this shed was only going to be 10X20, I went and got the 6 posts I would need, and started digging the holes. Bad, Bad, Bad. Not thinking about how very dry its been at home, and how hard the ground is anyway, It took me all day to dig 6 holes. :x

Thursday morning, a bright new start!

Posts are set. Materials are picked up, and by 10 am its hotter than blue blazes. My little carpenter in training, (our 10 yr. old.) holds one end of the boards while I nail the other.

I guess I should point out, that during the hottest part of the day, me an my lil helper are doing other chores, somewhere in the shade!! 8) But progress is being made.

By Saturday morning the rafters are up, but I've lost my helper. He had to go to his Dad's for the next week. :(

I start calling friends to help with sheeting the roof, as Waga cannot lift the plywood high enough for me to reach. Finally reach my younger brother, who is up from Alabama to visit our parents. So by end of day, the decking is down.

Now, for those of you wondering if my little tale will ever end. We're coming down to the climax now. ;-)

Since I have to be ready to go out again on Thursday morning, I take my time getting the roofing on. Only working when the roof is in shade. Wednesday evening, and voila!! :banana:

Sitting out in the yard enjoying my handy work, and a cool beverage.........and Waga say's "One of those sheds would be great in the yard, to park the trucks under." :shock: :shock:

Vacation! Who needs em????!!!!!! :cowboy:

Least she wanted something practical. I was "asked" to build a gazebo once. Now that's a waist of lumber and the last one I'll ever take on.

Learned that when the hubby leaves for more then one day call who can do the job and pay them to get it done.

Waited for 6 years for him to start building the chicken house I was promised. He left for a trip to Canada and was gone for 9 days. Got the chicken house built by a carpenter in two days and got new lights in the calving part of the barn done also.
Got to be sneaky. ;-)

I luv herfrds":kkw3w6d7 said:
Learned that when the hubby leaves for more then one day call who can do the job and pay them to get it done.

Waited for 6 years for him to start building the chicken house I was promised. He left for a trip to Canada and was gone for 9 days. Got the chicken house built by a carpenter in two days and got new lights in the calving part of the barn done also.
Got to be sneaky. ;-)

Sneaky? Sounds more like you were being considerate. ;-)

I luv herfrds":1r1prkl2 said:

Got to be sneaky. ;-)

I don't think that would make me happy either. ;-)

nice happy story WP, glad to hear the end product was up to scratch, now how about the lean to for the trucks, is that in good progress.

My Husband always tells me he would rather be at work than at home, as his work load is easier than the jobs around the house. :lol2:

That shed for the trucks, is on my list. Right behind the barn, fences, drillin a new spring, and the new deck on the house, she wants!! 8)

warpaint":wehed9dk said:
Only working when the roof is in shade.

Shade? What's that?

Build that other shed for the trucks and it will be filled with everything else in no time. The bright side is the shed you just built can be used for what it was intended.

You have to learn to build a "his and hers". She will leave yours alone and you'll never care to see what is in hers.