Subsoiler question

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
How does this one hookup with that arm made on there? Do you not use a top link? Would a 60 hp FWA pull a 2 shank?
IMG_5566.jpg

You would not use a third link, it was made to be at the correct length and angle for the tractor that they used. Might not be at the correct angle on a different tractor.
Whether you can pull a two shank depends on your soil. Maybe.

What happens when you hit a big buried rock? I get the feeling those other top bars had some purpose - maybe as a trip of some kind? Unless you are in potting soil 2 ft deep (in KY?) you need at least a sheer bolt somewhere. jmho. Jim

Tom, the chisel I have is a six bottom and I pull it with a Ford 3000 (about 45 HP). My soil is sandy loam and not very hard and I don't put it in the ground more than six or seven inches and I have to pull it in third or forth on a SOS. I really use it as a renovator and not as a sub-soiler since I don't have a lot of top soil.

On mine and I think maybe yours, there is a shear bolt on the shank that breaks if you hit something. Find you a good welding shop that can do hardfacing or maybe you can do it yourself because you will have to replace the hardfacing about every 50 acres or so, or maybe even have to replace the shank(s).

That connection on the top looks a little funny for a 3-point hook up. You will need to use a top link of some sort for adjustment purposes. Other wise the chisel will be skipping out of the ground and not penetrate.

Good luck

Here in Southern MN it will require 50 pto horsepower per shank. That would allow you to pull it 12" deep at 6 mph. Now in Northern IA it would only require 35 pto horsepower per shank but you better have auto resets or a whole bag full of sheer bolts.

Latest posts