Subjective Breed of Choice

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":11a2cpzh said:
Brandon you mean you would sacrifice profits to have the color cow you prefer knowing that is not what the market wants?

Nope, but this post is about breed of choice. I just hate to see breeds lose their identity and become graded up just so they can have a black hair coat.

Actually the market really doesn't know what it wants. Consumers just respond to the best marketing. Black angus cows were marketed well to sell their meat. It's great for them. Sadly other breeds didn't compete (or at least compete well enough), so we have marketing dominance. At the same time, people associated angus cows with black. Does that mean my red angus cow is not as good as my black angus cow? No, but misinformation to the genereal public shows black cows taste better. They marble better. So, what happens? Other breeds start changing over to black animals to reap profits of a color fad. So does my red angus cow marble better than someone else's Black Simmental? Apparently not, because people assume the Simmental is a black angus or at least a black angus cross.

So would I intentionally keep the color animal I want and sacrifice profit? Not for terminal animals. I use an Angus plus bull(black) on my hereford cows to get a black baldy. I wouldn't use a Red angus, because they would all still be marked as a RWF(red white face), and I would lose money, but at the same time, if I were keeping cows for replacements, I need to make myself happy, not the general public.

I'll stop ranting now.
Sorry.

Brandon you don't need to scrafice profits to use Fullblood Limis there is very good markets available for Limi cross calves. Lauras Lean Beef is based in Lexington KY. and there is Strauss international. both are decent markets where contenitals are the breeds of choice.

I totally agree... nothing prettier than a new born hereford calf ;-)

I really like the deep red ones the best, and the ones with freckles.

Truthfully, there are some very pretty colored longhorns too. And Whitepark cattle are pretty also.

Texas Gal":2iga6qla said:
dun":2iga6qla said:

aren't they gorgeous with those back swept horns and long, curving ears

That's exactly what I like about their looks. They're also so very mellow dispositioned

I love my Herefords, but if we weren't raising them I would go for the Shorthorns. Some family friends raised them and I loved their temperment and color.

dun":32zeoyxt said:
Texas Gal":32zeoyxt said:
dun":32zeoyxt said:

aren't they gorgeous with those back swept horns and long, curving ears

That's exactly what I like about their looks. They're also so very mellow dispositioned
ive seen some that looking head on at em. you couldnt see the rest of it for that broad noggin. they look like they got a extension on their forehead

No Murray Grey takers??
I've never owned any MG's, but I've been doing a lot of research on them lately. They seem to be a "good package". Unless I'm missing something. (please respond) :)
My family has raised Polled Herefords, Black Angus, Limosine, MaineAnju, and Beefmaster over the course of about 40 years.
Liked them all, well,.... maybe not Herefords so much due to the pinkeye, but still looking for that breed to settle into. :cboy:

I like those old style lineback Herefords like we had back in the 70's. Besides that, my Scottish Highlands were interesting if pretty worthless from a marketing standpoint and i've always been a fan of the Shorthorns we have up here. Just a little more interesting to look at than the straight reds and blacks that seem to be in style right now.

Forget Polled Herefords all together and go 100% Horned Herefords with maybe some big old 70/80's style yellow Simmentals and some Shorthorns.

Breed the Simms with Horned Herf, the Horned Herf with Shorthorn and just have Shorthorn bulls. I would like that. Maybe some Char bulls too, to breed to the F1 heifers off of the two types of crosses.

Brahmans, both grey and red. Really, any breed with brahman blood. I love the rainbow, but my eye is always caught by a smokey grey calf.

Latest posts