Subjective Breed of Choice

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
What is your breed of choice. What I mean is if all things were equal and it didn't matter about color markets or anything else, what breed strikes your fancy for no other reason other than you just like them. You don't have to own them or breed them just what do you like? Myself, I've always liked pinzgauers. They are pleasing to my eye.

It's redundant for me to even post on this. I don't think anyone doubts that I am raising my breed of choice: Herefords. I like their color and the good traits that they typically are known for. Having said this, I would hazard a guess that most of us who are not raising black cattle ARE raising our favorite, because with the dominance of the black hide over the past decade or two, if you aren't raising black cattle it is probably because you really like what you have. This is not to say that all you breeders of black cattle don't like them best, but that you are more likely to hear someone say "If it wasn't for the sale barn price of the black hided animal, I've always really liked _______________" than you are to hear "If it wasn't for how much more my __________ bring, I'd be raising Angus." (Or black Sims, Lims, etc.)

A week or two ago, having just loaded up the two show heifers after the premium sale I believe, I came back out to the trailer to find an older man and his grandaughter leaning up against the trailer admiring the heifers.(Who weren't snorting and fussing at the strangers' attention, but quietly standing, perhaps even curiously sniffing) The grandpa told me, "Those always were my favorite breed..." Previously while still in the barn, while the big 22 month old heifer was tied to the rail, a club calf breeder's wife came over with a toddler in her arms and let her reach out to pat the heifer. I know this type of temperament is available in most breeds, but it seems to me that it is just more widespread in the Hereford than any other.

Braford. I like what they can do with a calf. Finding one without and attitude is like finding a gold nugget.

I have a several that are going to have to leave. Getting harder to outsmart them and I am not as fast as I used to be.

I'd probably stick with my Chis, I really like them, but Shorthorns have always intrigued me.....Maybe in my subjective herd, I'd have some of both :kid:

Don't really have a breed of choice, but I wouldn't mind having a whole group of red baldies.

If I could start over from scratch and color wasn't a concern, I'd start with two groups of red angus cows, put a horned herf bull on one group and a red gelbvieh on the other and breed the resulting daughters to the bull of the opposite breed. That would be pretty much ideal for my tastes.

I love my red angus cattle. I like their disposition, their hardiness, the calves are active, they are just great cows EXCEPT they are all red. It is boring looking at a sea of red. I miss the splotches and white faces. I also love grey calves (worthless here) with their little black noses. I guess if everything was equal I wouldn't stick to one breed I'd mix it up - one of every colour as long as the temperament was right. I have always wanted a belted galloway, they just look cool.

We'd still be raising Angus. When we bought our first Angus bull, black was not beautiful. Red Limousin and spotted Simmental were the bulls you saw working in pastures around here, mostly Limousin. We bought him to use on a mixed bag of heifers because of the Angus reputation for calving ease and meat quality. And we could get a bull with a BW EPD. I enjoy and appreciate a new Hereford calf as much as anyone, but I love those little black ones, too. When they grow up, black cattle make my heart and checkbook happy.

I think I will probably stick with the Piedmontese. I love their personalities, their magnificent physiques, and watching those little black nosed babies manifest that enhanced muscling, and not to mention their healthy, lean, tender, juicy and flavorful meat....
If I were for some reason forced to change I would probably go with the Murray Greys. I like what I have seen of them and what others have reported their experiences with them to be.
I will always have an appreciation for Herefords probably because of my childhood memories, love those little white faced babies. My first horse (pretend) was a beautiful Hereford cow, she was wonderful. Very tolerant too!

Latest posts