Sub Q vs. IM Injections

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
I picked up an antibiotic from my vet to doctor a sick calf and he said to inject it into the muscle. I grimaced because that is not my favorite thing to do and he said to go ahead and sub q it. Later, after I left I got to wondering what the difference was. I did go ahead and IM it since that was his first suggestion. Does the medicine get into the bloodstream quicker if you put it into the muscle? I do know not to inject anywhere except the neck in cattle because of the meat quality issue, does this come into play in the neck area also?

Cindy
just wondering down here in Texas

There is more blood flow in the muscle thus the IM would be absorbed quicker and more efficently. A sub-q would not be absorbed as efficently. All antibiotic injections in humans are given IM.

I used to ranch next to a surgeon that was a long time rancher and watched his technique once. IM was a straight jab and a sub-q was angled. Most likley not the best way but when your working lots of cattle it's the quickest.

I'd say to give a proper IM you would need a long needle. My wife is an MD and I talked a bit with her on the subject and in humans she said studies have shown that for a true IM injection a 3 inch needle in the arm or where ever depending on how fat the patient is would be the most efficient for the average adult.

Also, yes it does need to be injected into the neck if you want to remain in what has become the norm for providing the best quality meat to the buyer.

J