Stupid water well

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my water well. I'm gettin alot of dirt sucked up and coming through my pipes. I'm only using this well to water my animals, but, I still need the stupid thing. I had a new well pump put in about two months ago. Could the well people have put the pump in too deep? Its burned the contacts on the, I believe, the regulator that cuts the well on and off and is not working now. Well people are gone for Christmas and I have to wait til they get back. Guess what I have to do to get water to some of these animals that are being watered by this well? You got it, four 100' hoses to get to the back. Has anyone wlse run into this problem of muck being sucked up by the pump? If the pump is too low, can I raise it? The water is darn near at the top of the pipe so raising it wouldn't be a problem. Sorry for the winded explanation. Thanks in advance.

Dick

Just a question, but the regulator wouldn't be tied into the problem of the mud-suckage-uppage, would it?

Could there be a problem with the well casing itself to cause the mud suckage?

May the force be with you on this one. Good luck. We, too, have had problems with our well (pressure tank) over a holiday, and it was aggravating. It was butt cold that day, too.

Raise it up. The contacts are probably burning up, because the pressure switch is overheating from sucking up the trash.Hopefully that will work. Let us know.

Yes, it's possible the pump is setting too low...the vortex created by the pump inlet could be stiring up mud & debris. Also, the pump should have a "shroud" around it. If it doesn't that could also be a factor. Another thing is that if the pump is too large for the amount of "recovery" (refill) in the well hole, then the pump may be trying to pump out water faster than the hole refills.

Another problem may be the check valve on top of the pump. It there ISN'T one or if it is defective, when the water in the pipe drains back into the hole, the sudden surge of water when the pump starts (without a water "head" on top of the pump), may stir up sand, debris in the bottom of the hole.

Note: If you use several hundred feet of water hoses to reach your tanks, use the very largest size hose you have or can find; otherwise, the friction loss through the hose length will result is lots of pressure loss at the end of the hose and/or volume of water discharged.

Don't know if this will help or not, but my well water is very hard water and the well pumps a lot of sand. Over time the mineral deposits and sand will block the intake holes in the casing and Dad shoots some more holes with his rifle. Just thought I would mention it in case it might be helpful.

A friend of ours had the same problem, mud getting sucked up, pump burning out. We raised it up about 20 feet and that was that. You can do this. It took three of us to do this with our friend. (extra hands makes it go quicker).

Katherine

Thanks to everyone andd especially Bez on my private message.I plan on raising the pump about 5' and see if that clears the problem. I'll be doing that myself so if anyone is in the area of Flatonia,Tx in the next few days..........

Dick

P.S.--
I dug down and checked my supply pipe at a given point and found that the pipe is just full of mud. Could this be a possible answer to my problem? I mean, would that make the pressure switch work overtime and burn out the contacts. These suckers are burnt to all h*&^. I can change out the pipe pretty easy if that is a possible answer. Probably should anyway.

Make sure your bladder tank is at the correct pressure, if the pressure is incorrect it will have the pump kicking on and off on and off, creating a lot of agitation in the water. Could be a few of these factors creating your "muck". Good luck, hope this may help!

Latest posts