Stupid Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
MillIronQH":2zw6kboi said:
Keep playing rodeo and cowboy and all you will end up is a crippled old man in twenty or so years. Those spills and wrecks will come back to haunt you. That is what a horse and playing rodeo or cowboy is good for.

CB... I turned 60 in August. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Z

;-) It has made an old man out of you already. ;-)

A good horse under a good rider is a thing of beauty. And useful, as the range riders proved. Still....
I was about 10 yr when a horse ran off on me. A stable at a state park horse. I don't blame the horse, especially, but I decided on gasoline at that moment. Give me a utility vehicle any day. I can keep one for a lot less than the yearly cost of a horse.
For fence running, how many times a day do you want to sling a leg up over that horse. This answer is probably different for the 20 yr olds vs the 50 yr olds. I run from switch to switch checking the electric fence, replacing staples where the deer hit the fence and cutting trees off the fence. I fall into that gator seat. No effort required. Turn the key and go. And, I can't seem to run it out of fuel. Awfully good on the gasoline.
Utility vehicle for me. Meets the need. Define the need--keep fences standing and electrified. Observe cattle; breeding, calving, working. Don't strand me out of cell phone range.

Naw... That' ain't what did it. I won't mention any names. I sleep on the couch enough as it is. :shock: :lol: Z

Well, like I said, the main reason of use of a horse is the fact that i ride around a lot w/ nothing with me, just watchin the herd or checking fences. And if i'm "just sittin" on a horse I'm not burnin fuel. If I'm on a ATV waitin to go I'm wasting fuel and money. And the contour of our fence goes out into Never-Neverland where no 4 wheeler has gone or ever will.

nathanm":564fn4y5 said:
If someone is playin anything then they don't really live on a farm or do but don't do any work. Now we are all here as cattlemen, not as fake cowboys or to state our false hopes.

At any rate, CB, our farm has turned up profit for a good amount of years. And anymore, its growing just fine. Now, i don't live on a 500 acre farm that all we do is farm; we've all got our jobs. Nobody here is doin any playin at all, we know where the work needs done.

If your small enough to be workin the in town job and a part timer, the horse is a toy. Just admit you want one. A good horse is going to cost more than an ATV and it has to be fed everyday your arguement doesn't hold water.

nathanm":3etwp2j9 said:
Well, like I said, the main reason of use of a horse is the fact that i ride around a lot w/ nothing with me, just watchin the herd or checking fences. And if i'm "just sittin" on a horse I'm not burnin fuel. If I'm on a ATV waitin to go I'm wasting fuel and money. And the contour of our fence goes out into Never-Neverland where no 4 wheeler has gone or ever will.

It seems that you already have your mind made up. :roll:

;-) Just a hint, if you are just sitting on your ATV turn it off it won't burn any more fuel untill you start it back up. ;-)

Caustic Burno":13y1sg00 said:
nathanm":13y1sg00 said:
If someone is playin anything then they don't really live on a farm or do but don't do any work. Now we are all here as cattlemen, not as fake cowboys or to state our false hopes.

At any rate, CB, our farm has turned up profit for a good amount of years. And anymore, its growing just fine. Now, i don't live on a 500 acre farm that all we do is farm; we've all got our jobs. Nobody here is doin any playin at all, we know where the work needs done.

If your small enough to be workin the in town job and a part timer, the horse is a toy. Just admit you want one. A good horse is going to cost more than an ATV and it has to be fed everyday your arguement doesn't hold water.

I'm trying to figure out who died and made you king. Since when is your opinion the only right opinion?

If the young man wants to try it and finds pleasure in doing the job that way, who are you to dictate that he's wrong? He might try it and find it doesn't work for him and sale the horse but that will be his decision and not one you tried to shove down his throat.Z

MillIronQH":1w7kx9gn said:
Caustic Burno":1w7kx9gn said:
nathanm":1w7kx9gn said:

I'm trying to figure out who died and made you king. Since when is your opinion the only right opinion?

If the young man wants to try it and finds pleasure in doing the job that way, who are you to dictate that he's wrong? He might try it and find it doesn't work for him and sale the horse but that will be his decision and not one you tried to shove down his throat.Z

And, there ya' go! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alice

msscamp":hvl585ex said:
cfpinz":hvl585ex said:
The only good horse I've ever seen was someone else's.
cfpinz

You do realize that the basic difference between a good horse and a bad horse is the owner? At least 90% (perhaps higher) of the time.

I agree wholeheartedly. My comment was a tongue-in-cheek way of saying I never want to own a horse again. I've been around them my whole life and have never seen eye to eye with one. Don't have the patience to deal with them, have never been interested enough to learn the ins and outs of what makes them tick. Unless one truly understands them and how to work with them, not against them, it's a losing battle. That's the problem with most horses in my area. A large percentage of the horses around here are owned by people that live either in the suburbs or a subdivision and board their horses elsewhere for $200 to $500 a month and up. They buy a horse from some trainer (trader), have it trailered to the boarder's place, show up every day for two weeks to ride it, then it's once a week and after the novelty wears off it's once a month at best. Then they can't understand why the horse won't cooperate when they try to ride it like the instructor told them to six months ago. Eventually the horse gets sold and some other poor sap winds up with him after a trainer (trader) puts some work into him and polishes him up. That's the horse business where I come from, a family member owns a boarding business and makes a butt-load of dough off the local richies, I see it everyday.

I have no problem with folks who enjoy horses, we're all entitled to our own vices. But I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of the horses in this country have not made a worthwhile contribution to the cattle industry.

cfpinz

P.S. Wife's a horse person, had three when we got married. Got her down to one now, if I can get that one outta here we're in business! ;-)

MillIronQH":30tt4p3l said:
Caustic Burno":30tt4p3l said:
nathanm":30tt4p3l said:

At least I am not yanking everyone's chain about being a cowboy on a part time spread. Like I said he wants one buy it but quite trying to justify it other than a toy.

nathanm.

It seems to me there are some horse traders responding to you. They'd love to fix you up. Bet they have a really good cattle horse they'd let you have if you have enough nickels. Course that ole horse aint seen many cows.

Two points. You say you don't have the patience to deal with them. You're in the cow business. That takes more patience then most people in the world have. That's not saying you should run out and buy a horse. Just that you need to give yourself more credit.

I'd think long and hard about trying to ship Mama's horse. Women attach a stong emotional bond to some things and you know what they say..."If Mama's not happy... Nobodys happy. ;-) Z

Alice":9xmzy21u said:
MillIronQH":9xmzy21u said:
Caustic Burno":9xmzy21u said:
nathanm":9xmzy21u said:

Alice

Alice I didn't see anyplace big enough to hold a horse in your pic's. I bet if the truth was known the closest you ever got to one was at a Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Movie.

backhoeboogie":tftrgy3r said:
nathanm.

It seems to me there are some horse traders responding to you. They'd love to fix you up. Bet they have a really good cattle horse they'd let you have if you have enough nickels. Course that ole horse aint seen many cows.

The original used car salesman.

"A good horse is worth twice their weight in gold" (ok.... not really, but its just one of those old sayings, you know)

A good horse really can help out in areas an ATV cannot, and vice versa. Just depends on how you want to tackle the job.

Dont forget though, along with that horse comes hoof trimming expense, worming, shots, tack, etc. etc. etc.

The atv may be a cheaper way.

The seven horses I got eat me out of house and home, but I would still rather sit on them than an ATV anyday. :D

MillIronQH":1ewf1fw1 said:
I'd think long and hard about trying to ship Mama's horse. Women attach a stong emotional bond to some things and you know what they say..."If Mama's not happy... Nobodys happy. ;-) Z
:lol2: :clap: This is a VERY GOOD POINT!!! lol!

Caustic Burno":z6s4fusc said:
nathanm":z6s4fusc said:

I enjoy my horses but have to agree with CB on this one! Nathanm getting a horse over a ATV or tractor would just be because you want one, not because it is more practical.

Caustic Burno":4ndgk9td said:
Alice":4ndgk9td said:
MillIronQH":4ndgk9td said:
Caustic Burno":4ndgk9td said:
nathanm":4ndgk9td said:

Alice

Alice I didn't see anyplace big enough to hold a horse in your pic's. I bet if the truth was known the closest you ever got to one was at a Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Movie.

Funny you should mention Roy Rogers...meet Trigger:

100_1122.jpg

and, Shorty:

100_1125.jpg

Alice

CB... Have you considerd Prozac??? It seem like all you want to do is attack everything and everybody that doesn't line up behind you.Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts