Stupid question about hay(pasture)

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Just put my electric fence up and let the cows on the hay ground (like I do every year) so they can eat it down.Well I noticed that two of them seem to be bloated up more than usual. I didnt pull them off of it tonight but was thinking maybe I should. It has alot of clover in it but not any more than any other year. Am I just be over cautious? JHH

The grass this fall is different then in previous years. Our cows are still squirtin as if they're on spring flush grass.

So you think I should pull them off of it tonight? And then gradually get them used to it over a couple of days?

As long as they're burping and farting I would just leave them. If they appear to be in distress then I would move them and restrict them to only a couple of hours a day of the pasture for a a couple of days till they adjust. I just expect them to adjust without my intervention. But that's just my way of doing things, I'm a huge believer in benign neglect

dun":akmwbgn4 said:
As long as they're burping and farting I would just leave them. If they appear to be in distress then I would move them and restrict them to only a couple of hours a day of the pasture for a a couple of days till they adjust. I just expect them to adjust without my intervention. But that's just my way of doing things, I'm a huge believer in benign neglect

I will leave them tonight and check on them in the morning and make my call then. Thanks

JHH":35b6l7zd said:
dun":35b6l7zd said:

I will leave them tonight and check on them in the morning and make my call then. Thanks
It's gonna be a nerve wracking night for you.

dun":3tqocwuo said:
JHH":3tqocwuo said:
dun":3tqocwuo said:

It's gonna be a nerve wracking night for you.

They are fine. And I just have a couple more gray hairs is all. I just worry to much.

Latest posts