Stupid Mistake

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
I had a bull calf that needed to be worked, but he never would come into the lot so I could catch him.
I have banded everything else, but yesterday he came in and I wasn't ready(no bands)so I got him in the chute and as I did I scratched the back of my hand, barely broke the skin but it bleed a lot for such a little scratch(should have been my warning)
I cut him and he bled like a stuck hog.
I was really worried about him but he seems fine today.
I checked the sign after I got home and it was in the heart(leo)
Things are hard enough without management mistakes

cross_7":1pox289s said:
I had a bull calf that needed to be worked, but he never would come into the lot so I could catch him.
I have banded everything else, but yesterday he came in and I wasn't ready(no bands)so I got him in the chute and as I did I scratched the back of my hand, barely broke the skin but it bleed a lot for such a little scratch(should have been my warning)

Glad to see someone who works by the signs. My Grandpa drilled that into us and he was right. He did everything by the signs. What is your source for the signs?
I had a calendar from last year and it was great but cannot find another one!

Not the best way to start off the new year. Hope that all turns out well.

How is your horse doing? Better I hope. : )

3waycross":3s8g0gxj said:
cross_7":3s8g0gxj said:

Glad to see someone who works by the signs. My Grandpa drilled that into us and he was right. He did everything by the signs. What is your source for the signs?
I had a calendar from last year and it was great but cannot find another one!

My grand parents did everything by the sign. My dad called bs on it til one time he was working calves and stopped because they bled so much, sure enough the sign was wrong
I use the old farmers almanac, it's online too

chippie":2bqv6w71 said:
Not the best way to start off the new year. Hope that all turns out well.

How is your horse doing? Better I hope. : )

He seems to be doing good
I had to turn him out of the stall after one day because he kept trying to get out
Then after a week in the lot he was running laps, so I let him out to pasture and he calmed down
He was laying down to sleep for the first few days but i noticed he was asleep standing up the other day

I swear by the signs. Less and less people seem to follow them. When I was a kid we had 150 sows. I've tried to block it out of my memory. We had hogs to cut all the time. We always laid off when the sign was wrong. I still cut and wean by them.

i tried to cut one off his momma yesterday..got the numbers mixed up...wrong calf....gettin him back was a real pita in the dark

Latest posts