Stupid Fertilizer Buggy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I rented a buggy yesterday to fertilize 140 acres. I was going along this stuff was hard to see flying. Anyway I was turning around to go the opposite way when I saw a thick stripe of fertilizer. I get out and the rear belt on the buggy had came off. :bang: Not real sure how long it was that way but, I'm guessing a whole lap around the outside of a 60 acre patch. Question: Do you all think the Elevator where I rented the buggy from should make that right or is it just part of it? I just hope I don't have dead strips. Thanks B&G

Black and Good":kezs8e0l said:
I rented a buggy yesterday to fertilize 140 acres. I was going along this stuff was hard to see flying. Anyway I was turning around to go the opposite way when I saw a thick stripe of fertilizer. I get out and the rear belt on the buggy had came off. :bang: Not real sure how long it was that way but, I'm guessing a whole lap around the outside of a 60 acre patch. Question: Do you all think the Elevator where I rented the buggy from should make that right or is it just part of it? I just hope I don't have dead strips. Thanks B&G
I had it happen before, mine was just a really green stripe, guess it depends on what you are putting on whether it kills it. Also had a fan come off on one. Might asked them but I never got anything?

tom4018":2r2dhjqu said:
Black and Good":2r2dhjqu said:
I had it happen before, mine was just a really green stripe, guess it depends on what you are putting on whether it kills it. Also had a fan come off on one. Might asked them but I never got anything?

Thanks Tom. I was putting on 60/30 Nitrate/DAP. 135# per acre. B&G

Black and Good":x7yv50an said:
M-5":x7yv50an said:
Cost of doing business. I always check everything over. I broke a chain last weekend and just fixed it.

I understand, I just hate the wasted fertilizer & possible killed grass. B&G
take your drag and drag it , do it as fast as you can go. It it help scatter it

I lost one of the spinners on a rented buggy I bought the fertilizer from. Had one nice green streak on the last 10 acres. Did not know where I lost it at the time. I told them when I returned the buggy. The guy said they had been intending to replace the spinner because it was flopping. I was waiting for them to make some sort of offer on the wasted fertilized. Did not happen.

We had a DA working for us a few years ago spread 20 acres without turning on the pto. You could see the streak for 2 years. One of many reasons he left.

littletom":1gobo9qh said:
We had a DA working for us a few years ago spread 20 acres without turning on the pto. You could see the streak for 2 years. One of many reasons he left.

I watched a guy make three passes around a 200 acre cotton field before he realized the mower wasn't working. Fool got off bytching saying the mower was broke. Reminded him of the PTO button. He wasn't no youngster either and what made it so funny was he knew it all....if you know the type.

Jogeephus":2g4y2alc said:
littletom":2g4y2alc said:

I watched a guy make three passes around a 200 acre cotton field before he realized the mower wasn't working. Fool got off bytching saying the mower was broke. Reminded him of the PTO button. He wasn't no youngster either and what made it so funny was he knew it all....if you know the type.
I know of a guy forget to put the top pin in when he hooked up the three point to a springtooth. He did about thirty acres before he figured it out and even then it was from looking at the ground he'd already done instead of turning around and looking at what was happening behind him. I pulled up just in time to watch him figure it out. :lol:

These are examples of why I'm glad my farm is a mile down a gravel road with no neighbors. No matter what kind of ridiculous act I do, nobody sees it. :D

herofan":hom1kyd0 said:
These are examples of why I'm glad my farm is a mile down a gravel road with no neighbors. No matter what kind of ridiculous act I do, nobody sees it. :D
Not quite a mile here, but out of sight of the main road at least. So only friends that come here see my mistakes. :lol:

Jogeephus":283mnqh2 said:
littletom":283mnqh2 said:

It would have been good to not say a word, go into the cab, turn it on then say there, I fixed it for you.

herofan":2w2qqj0s said:
When (not if) I do something dumb, the first thing I do is look around to see if anyone saw it--like that's gonna save me from my dumbness.....

Ive seen that belt come off a few times myself. You'll get real good growth there after a while, grow taller, thicker, greener and faster than the rest for 2 or 3 yrs.

Most of these old fertilize buggies sittin around at these fertilize plants are getting old and wore out, eat up, from all the acidity. Around here you hardly ever see any new ones come on the lot...guess its not economically feasible for them.
If I have a lot of grass seed to sow I will get one sometimes and have them mix the seed with pelleted lime. The PL here is very dusty....I like that fact because when I'm spreading it lets me know everything is working ok or not...there's a big cloud of dust when it is.
So, you might want to try and add some dusty PL to the mix.

Latest posts