Stupid farmers and ranchers

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook":34x04yxx said:
Never have understood that. I set my prices where they need to be and don't back down.saves me time an aggravation of haggling.

I enjoy the fine art of negotiating over price but normally just over the price of "something" not the price a person puts on their labor. If I think someone is way too high on their bid price I rarely ask for a discount, I instead keep the bidding process open.

Now when it comes to cars or other big ticket items if I can't haggle a little I am very disappointed.

TexasBred":30pkxjhm said:
skyhightree1":30pkxjhm said:
TexasBred":30pkxjhm said:
. People talk on here everyday about never negotiating a price once they set it. Works both ways.

I negotiate prices all day everyday... When I quote someone I have a tendency to be high and talk to them I come down so they feel they got a deal and im right where I need to be :D
I know a lot of people that do that Sky...buying and selling. Never take the lst offer...make them come down a bit and they'll leave thinking they got the very best deal possible. But others have said at the mention of the word "negotiate" they walk away.

I do mostly work for other contractors and gov't agencies in the area I do very little work for home owners because they waste my time getting 1,000 bids and trying to price match and shop.My biggest customers are other contractors and they will beat you down when it comes to pricing cause they want dirt dirt cheap so if I set the bar high I can get down to where I need to be and everyone feels like they got what they wanted. Home owners just mostly go for cheapest guy out there I am not him so often I refer them to a friend. I carry way too much insurance and gas is too high to play with home owners all day long. I tell people my estimates are free but my time is valuable do not waste my time.

TennesseeTuxedo":32290z43 said:
Hook":32290z43 said:
Never have understood that. I set my prices where they need to be and don't back down.saves me time an aggravation of haggling.

I enjoy the fine art of negotiating over price but normally just over the price of "something" not the price a person puts on their labor. If I think someone is way too high on their bid price I rarely ask for a discount, I instead keep the bidding process open.

Now when it comes to cars or other big ticket items if I can't haggle a little I am very disappointed.

Most of the time my negotiating come over some cold beer and a hooters table :) We all have been working with each other since 2001 and find a way to cut up the $ so that everyone is happy.

melking":zr3g5fd2 said:
As much as I enjoy a rousing speech about tyranny I want to put my :2cents: in. The only way to effect any long term change is to work within the system to change it. Great movies are made and books written about how the little guy fights the big guy and despite insurmountable odds comes out on top. I call Bull Sh1t. You cannot fight city hall on any longer term situation and win. You can only join them and change them from inside.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
Thomas Jefferson

It is all about what you are willing to pay.
It is hard for one man to fight even with right on his side.
But that is for each man to draw his own line in the sand on the price of his freedom.
Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

mwj":1jrep50c said:
Some of the older people on the board might remember the NFO fluid milk holdout in the 60's. The members all agreed to dump there milk down the drain to force the price up to where it needed to be. Since fluid milk is perishable and has a short supply line it worked as planed. The only problem was as soon as the milk price started raising the members could not stand to see the loss so they started selling one at a time before the deal was set. When the dairy company's saw this, they were assured that they were in the drivers seat! :cry2: Tell me again how many producers will hold back cattle when the market moves up or they have bills to pay.
I had a diary at that time and suggested at a meeting that we need to start culling the low producers in the herd and get the tv reporters and tell them we would be selling cows each week until things got better. At the time we had milk classed in three classes. Best price was for fluid milk and on down to the lowest that was mfg milk butter cheese ice cream and such. Some of them allowed that they were making a little even on the low cost milk. I sit down and shut my mouth and sold out three weeks later and went back to a engineering job that I had quit some years earlier. Dairyman are an amazing lot milk more cows when milk goes up and milk more to keep up when milk goes down.

Latest posts