Stupid cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score

Or stupid me.
Last year after we first ai'ed her I saw this cow nursing another cow. I hated to sell her since I just put in the time and money to ai, so I put a nose flap on her. Never saw her try to steal again. She had her calf through the ai and I took her nose flap off whenever we ai'ed her this year. Not 2 hours later, I saw her nursing again. Put the flap back in. I really should sell her but, once again, I have the time and money invested in her.. Next year she's out of here!

I sold one like that this fall. I caught her and another heifer that she was raised with standing side by side nursing each other. I moved one of them to another pasture, and then caught the other one doing the same thing, again with a heifer she was raised with. I was running out of pastures to put them in to keep them separate so she had to go.

Sold one like that recently. But just before she went she tried it on a Limo/Angus cross. It did not go as she planned, she got kicked into next week, but we sent her anyways. No place on the farm for a cow like that.

I've got the same issue with one. It always seems to happen with one heck of a mama cow. Last year we did the flap and said that we'd sell her bred.

Her calf turned out to be a scale buster, bred back in first cycle, and I decided to give her another chance this year. Age didn't do anything. Still a thief... Super disappointed about it. Our calf prices are still pretty good, but you take a single red angus cow to our sale barn right now, $800 for a pair. I just can't see where her stealing milk is economically worse than selling an otherwise good cow for $600-900. Can someone help me with that math, because I want to give her the 30-06 treatment every time I see her latched on to one tit while the calf is latched on to another. Sneeks up right behind the other cow as the calf nurses. She's been kicked a thousand times...

rockroadseminole":2o91imen said:
I just can't see where her stealing milk is economically worse than selling an otherwise good cow for $600-900. Can someone help me with that math, ..

You go ahead and keep that cow...let her teach others to rob....let her cheat that calf out of what he needs to grow...let her destroy another cows udder......let the neighbors drive by and see her sucking another cow.....let her own calf be junk because of her selfish desires.

I have zero tolerance for a cow sucking another cow....absolutely can't stand it. :mad:

Use the weaning flap that has the spikes on it. She will get kicked so hard she will quit. Leave the weaning flap in her nose...don't care if it makes it sore....and then ship her when you can convince yourself to do so.

Have a dairy that had 4 or 5 first calf heifers come into the barn fresh. 2 had 2 good teats the others were only 3 good teats. Then saw another fresh heifer sucking on a cow. Come to find out she was in that same group of heifers when they were weaned and turned out and bred and everything. That b%$#^ was sucking the other heifers before they were even bred, and subsequently ruined the udders of a half dozen potentially good dairy cows. And the owner put a flap in her nose, she quit, until it came out and started right back. Put another one in. I point blank told him in my very "diplomatic way" that he was the biggest idiot I've ever met ( in other more descriptive words) to keep her there. And he deserved to continue to have problems with the other cows as well as lost production etc.

I won't tolerate it for a second.... no matter if she is the biggest pet on the place.

There are several things which will get a cow a right to the sale on the next available trailer. Sucking on another cow is one of them. And it doesn't matter to me how much time or money I have into the cow.

Lazy M":1c3tx6az said:

Or stupid me.
Last year after we first ai'ed her I saw this cow nursing another cow. I hated to sell her since I just put in the time and money to ai, so I put a nose flap on her. Never saw her try to steal again. She had her calf through the ai and I took her nose flap off whenever we ai'ed her this year. Not 2 hours later, I saw her nursing again. Put the flap back in. I really should sell her but, once again, I have the time and money invested in her.. Next year she's out of here!

It does not matter how much cash you have in her - put her off to the side and fatten her for the freezer or ship her.

Use that cash to buy a decent replacement - better to loose that little bit of money now than to continually loose cash with her.

Build your herd on quality and cull like a real mean "barstard".

In a few years you will be pretty darned happy with your product.

Trust me on this one.

Cheers.

The only way to improve a herd is through culling for faults....this is a serious fault. more serious than being open...how expensive was the semen you put in her? Must have been over a thousand dollars per unit.

I sold a great looking heifer for that reason. It sucks, but it's better than her sucking everything on the place. I tried nose rings, I tried separation, nothing worked. Hated to see her go, but she was determined she wasn't stopping.

We had one that waited till she was bred then started sucking the cows that had calved. Fed her out and butchered her.

Isn't it interesting how some say "She's my best cow or she's such a good cow-- I really hate to get rid of her." Huh? A sucking cow cannot be a GOOD cow. Larry Leonhardt said "the best cow is the one who goes un-noticed the longest."

I bought a yearling in April, noticed her sucking a cow in July. B*tch was gone when I got the bull pulled in early August.

I have two young Heifers that I'm going to AI this next year. Both were bottle babies and after you would get done feeding them they would try to suck on each other, we always figured it was a comfort thing. I had to put a nose ring in one that was stealing from a Momma that was feeding twins. Now that they are older you don't see them do it that much, but I'm worried that when they calf they may start again, Time will tell. Suggestions?

You said you don't see them do it as much? Have you seen them do it at all? If they do it once in a while, that's to often. Imo

Latest posts