Stud Red Poll Bull Calf not drinking - URGENT HELP NEEDED !

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a stud Red Poll bull calf which was delivered on the property today by caeserian operation as the calf was very large in the shoulders and hips. <br>Cow does show a mothering instinct but it does not appear that the calf has drunk Colostrum after 3 hours in the yards with the cow or is even making an attempt to drink.<br>He sucked on the vets thumb when he was delivered but does not appear to show any interest in the udder even when I put the cow in the bail and try and force him to drink.<br>Just let him go and keep him warm in a shed near our cattle yards with the cow ?. Buggered if I know with this one, have never struck a calf that doesnt like milk ? Any other tricks ? Ive tried milking the cow out a bit (but not too much) and put milk on the teats and still no go !<br>Help !.<br>He is a very good bull calf so I dont want to lose him.<br>Your help would be gratefully accepted,<br>ANTHONY PETCH<br>'PENTWYN'<br>AUSTRALIA.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Sometimes a calf just takes a little longer to get going. I would milk out some colostrum from the mother & tube feed it to the calf. Continue to tube feed twice a day with mother's milk until he's up and nursing on his own. It might take a day or two. The point is to keep his well hydrated and well nourished so he doesn't weaken & become ill. He'll get the hang of it soon.<p>Are you sure you want to use this calf as a stud considering his size and birthing difficulites?
<br>

Anthony,<br> I agree with Linda that if you use this bull to breed your herd, the chances of you doing this same thing several times a calving season is greatly increased. A better selection criteria would be high yearling average daily gain under the conditions that you raise your herd, coupled with moderate birth weight and frame.
<br>

[email protected]