Stud names

Help Support CattleToday:

Well I work for 3 different studs, sort of.

Loc-Hi : which is just a shortened version of our school name. Lockyer High

Kia Kaha : which is "Stand Strong" in Maori.

And Currajong : which is the tree species I suppose you could put.

well a few of ours are
Lex Lugar- because his additude reminds me of lex Lugar off of Smallville
Black Echo- he's black and he's out of Black Shamrock and Echo
Kansas- has the shape of kansas on his side
Smak- He's a huge bluffer and "talks" alot of smack
Elmo- He's a brighter red than Elmo him self
Whopper- he's huge like a burger king whopper

Those are just a few of them.

Grand Chaser":vtrk1wzi said:
well a few of ours are

Over in the outback, their farms are called studs.

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call the whole of Australia the Outback though. But yes our farms/ranches whatever you want to call them are called studs.

One of our herd sire's name is Cody (after the breeders son). One is Totino( the kid's like the pizza). My favorite (which my husband sold from under me) was Jack Daniel (no explanation needed). ;-)

our main home property is called "Rose-Lea" after a lady that purchased it about 50+ years ago called Leah Rose. Our other properties are called "Lea View" (overlooks our home place about 2 klms to the east) Forty Acres which is self explanatory this is about 20 klms away from home. This block was given to my wife Helen by her father. Its a pretty block by the river with mountains around it. We run Brahman cross and some pure heifers on it because its warmer and at a lower elevation than our 1,000 metre home block. We have another 500 acre block called "Galvans" named after the original selector of it about 100 years ago. This block is 15 klms from us to our north west, we can see some of this country from our home.
Our stud names (prefix or whatever you like to call it)
Coliana Brahman Stud.
Chevalley South Devons.
Highland South Brahvons.
Mountain Top Herefords.
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Colin

Grand Chaser":aknn4njt said:
well a few of ours are

Isn't it Lex Luthor?

I wanted something to use for both my cattle and ponies, and what with Killala being a place in Ireland thought it would do!! Took me long enough to decide tho... you should have seen the list I had!! Lol.

Australian Cattleman":1rori7p0 said:
our main home property is called "Rose-Lea" after a lady that purchased it about 50+ years ago called Leah Rose. Our other properties are called "Lea View" (overlooks our home place about 2 klms to the east) Forty Acres which is self explanatory this is about 20 klms away from home. This block was given to my wife Helen by her father. Its a pretty block by the river with mountains around it. We run Brahman cross and some pure heifers on it because its warmer and at a lower elevation than our 1,000 metre home block. We have another 500 acre block called "Galvans" named after the original selector of it about 100 years ago. This block is 15 klms from us to our north west, we can see some of this country from our home.
Our stud names (prefix or whatever you like to call it)
Coliana Brahman Stud.
Chevalley South Devons.
Highland South Brahvons.
Mountain Top Herefords.
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Colin

Colin,
I'll have to look out for those names at Toowoomba, Stanthorpe and Warwick next year!

Once I do eventually get my own prefix, which will still be a while yet, I'm wanting to go with something simple.

Yeah I was actually talking about herd prefixes.

Coliana and Chevally are both really good names, and I love Jack Daniel for the bull. :D

I will hopefully be getting my first angoras in the very near future, which is what has prompted the discussion. I can think of plenty of names, but none which I like as much as other people's. And seeing as I'm not off a property I don't have the easy option of using the property name.

Any suggestions?

Keren,
From what little I understand about Aussie slang and nicknames, yours would be Kazza, Kozza, or Kezza. Any of those sound to me like a pretty fair Stud Name.

Kazza Angoras?

I've never been too much in favour of naming a stud herd after a local landmark or something like that,because say for instance you named your herd Murray River Murray Greys and then you moved to the Hunter River or you called it Yerong Creek then moved to Cooper Creek.I have some friends that call their Brahman stud "Bizzy" that is the nickname of Elizabeth one of the owners. They have had that name sice 1975 when I first registered my herd.People often use a mixture of each others names. Our family had a Braford stud at one time called "Noelma" a mix of my dad's name Noel and my mums Thelma. Theres lots of names out there.
Colin

Yes they have some very good cattle. They have done it hard over the years but have lots of repeat buyers. Their cattle do very well in the ring and out in the paddock.
I can remember in 1978 or 79 them winning the interbreed sires progeny group with a group of grey Brahmans. It was the first time that Brahmans had won in a British breed strong hold in the New England area.
Colin

Latest posts