Stud Colt Has an Unusual Job!

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
The small pasture we have one of our horses (2-3 Yr Old Stud Colt), Tennessee Walker, needed a (non-breeding) job.

This area had a LOT of Devil's Claw "claws" in it. After the wind had blown a small ball together, my wife decided to do something... She put a long lead rope on the Colt, with other end around the Claw Ball. He's been dragging that ball around for couple of weeks or so...ball has increased in size a lot...busy collecting the "Claws". He doesn't mind... lol. Saves us a lot of work picking up those little monsters!!

The ball probably weighs close to 5 lbs now, about 16 to 18" in diameter.

"Get Er Done, Colt!

;-)

Would devils claw be similar to stick tights? A small stemmy plant with a lot of branches and multitudes of nailhead size seeds that grab your clothing?

Jalopy":1ss84nb7 said:
Would devils claw be similar to stick tights? A small stemmy plant with a lot of branches and multitudes of nailhead size seeds that grab your clothing?

Nope! The "Stick Weed" is in a class by itself.

Devil's Claw is a dried elongated pod with 2 "feelers" out that are stiff and have tiny needle sharp tips that attach to about anything, especially hair. The really "smart" if one of those needles sticks you!

Running Arrow Bill":2m70rrih said:
Devil's Claw is a dried elongated pod with 2 "feelers" out that are stiff and have tiny needle sharp tips that attach to about anything, especially hair. The really "smart" if one of those needles sticks you!

I have heard them called horse cripplers, cow cripplers through the years. A lady at work wants them for reindeer. She glues them together and makes Christmas ornaments with them. They will latch on to your pants leg in a hurry.

Those claws are full of seed. I sure hope that colt is not spreading them all over your pasture RAB.

Sick tights are also know as beggar's lice. Saw a hairly legged kid in shorts go through a pasture full of stick tights. It looked like he was wearing gray chaps. Funny as all get out. Don't know how he ever got all of those off of his legs.

Back when I had a place to take care of,I'd tie a strip of carpet behind the riding mower and ride through the grassburrs.. Then I'd burn that strip and tie another strip on and mow.. Took a couple of years,but I wound up with a lot fewer grassburr plants.. Then I could dig those up and burn them too.
I think the burning was a big part of it

peg4x4":2xbggsyk said:
Back when I had a place to take care of,I'd tie a strip of carpet behind the riding mower and ride through the grassburrs.. Then I'd burn that strip and tie another strip on and mow.. Took a couple of years,but I wound up with a lot fewer grassburr plants.. Then I could dig those up and burn them too.
I think the burning was a big part of it

The plant the devil's claw comes out of is generally around 4 foot tall. Regular mowing of your pasture gets rid of them about the same way. The plant grows fast tho, if you get rain. So if you are just brush hogging your pasture twice a year, you won't get rid of devil's claw.

Latest posts