Stuck PTO Shaft

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a large piece of equipment with a PTO shaft that is very very difficult to slide in and out. I was thinking that I would pull it apart, clean it really well and coat it with Anti-Seize and put it back together. Is this the best way to get it working again so it will be easier to connect?

M-5":18napkz3 said:
pull it apart and clean it good with emory cloth or steel wool , Light oil only and fix it where water can not get in while its not in use.
Would light oil be better that anti-seize? I just worry about the oil attracting crud down the road and gumming it up.

Personally I don't like any lubrication on a PTO shaft it will slide better without it .
If its a piece of equipment that is not used often the light oil helps to reduce rust. biggest culprit is moisture between the shaft and sleeve. WD40 or Remoil is what I spray mine with and then when not in use. devise a hanger so it it parallel with the ground so rain can not enter either end.

sstterry":gw6pqlfr said:
I have a large piece of equipment with a PTO shaft that is very very difficult to slide in and out. I was thinking that I would pull it apart, clean it really well and coat it with Anti-Seize and put it back together. Is this the best way to get it working again so it will be easier to connect?

Might just be the plastic shields and not the shaft. Sometimes the European type shafts will wear and when pushed back they bind. Might inspect for this. I have had the two lobed shafts get to the point that you cannot pull them apart if slammed past the wear points on the shaft.

If there are no kinks, etc in the shaft, best thing to do is first wire wheel it clean, then I just put motor oil on it, remove when not in use, reoil before next use

Anti-seize can get gummed up pretty good over time, especially the grey stuff. Either cut it with oil to thin it like mentioned above or use motor or wd40 or some thing. Your really just trying to prevent rust IMO... not really lubricate it to make it move easier.

sstterry":fzfzktvy said:

Probable time to take the shaft apart and the covers also . A shaft that will not telescope back and forth easily will put undue strain on the U-joints on the shaft. And in a sharp turn it will actually push in on the PTO shaft on the tractor and will cause damage.

In 2015 I started farming on my own. Everything was working OK that year. The next year when I was servicing the hay equipment I had several implements that had sticky PTO shafts. I ended up pulling them apart and using emery cloth on them, along with diesel to cut through the grease & dirt. I even used a tooth brush on the tractor side and the coupler on the shaft to clean it. Several of my shafts have grease zerks so I just wiped them all down with the grease from the grease gun before reassembling them. The ones with zerks get a couple shots when greasing everything. The only issue I have now is sometimes the shaft will slide apart when not hooked up. But at least everything moves easily!

This is a subject that will absolutely make you lose your religion , especially one that just sticks a little bit , you know , right at the pto shaft, slides freely everywhere else AAARRRRGGGGHHH!

Caustic Burno":fpxlmrzp said:
I use permatex copper antiseize it's not cheap.
Doesn't take much good stuff. It's so wet and humid here the pto shafts will rust.
we have the opposite problem, so dry and dusty anything grease based turns into something like tar...

I do use copper antiseize on EVERY bolt on anything else though.. especially on road vehicles

Nesikep":9b5xvuxs said:
Caustic Burno":9b5xvuxs said:
I use permatex copper antiseize it's not cheap.
Doesn't take much good stuff. It's so wet and humid here the pto shafts will rust.
we have the opposite problem, so dry and dusty anything grease based turns into something like tar...

I do use copper antiseize on EVERY bolt on anything else though.. especially on road vehicles
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01606TC ... Mwebp_QL65
Best stuff for preventing corrosion and gauling that I've found so far.

I use this stuff on everything:

0027022-23.jpg

Some types of metal self-weld, Stainless is one, gold is another.. Saw a demonstration using two tiny gold wafers that were honed flat.. touch them together and if you moved them at all, they'd instantly weld.. Now stainless takes a little more force, but it's the same idea..

By far, the best is Prizm gel lube. It comes in a rattle can. Synthetic oil lube. Spray and bubbles, gets into the cracks. Spray once a year on my turn over ball, PTO shaft, anything. Does NOT collect dirt or sand. Excellent residual without being greasy. I buy locally. Getting harder to find online. $20 a can, lasts for a couple of years. Helps keep your sanity.

Latest posts