Stuck in a Hay Ring

Help Support CattleToday:

If it was able to get completely inside and got stuck coming out, unless it put on a lot of weight while it was in there, cranking it's tail or some form of inticement will work. If it's stuck going in, get infront and shush it backwards. The thing to keep in mind is that if it got in there once, it will get back in again, and again, and again,.........................

Only tip I have is to be aware that those hind legs CAN kick forward when they have a mind to. :oops: I learned this again this spring when one got her head stuck between the board fence. She had to turn her head sideways to get out but she wouldn't do it. I positioned my self in front of her head a bit and tried to help her. She fired off two quick volleys and busted the board and my leg pretty darn good.

if you cant push pull or shove them out of the hay ring.you might need to get a cutting torch an cut them loose.

Had a 5 wt. get stuck coming out of a ring yesterday. It was in a panic run (making really good time) with the ring bouncing around in front of the hips. Spooked the rest of the herd until it came to an abrupt stop between two trees. :eek: Laid it out on its side and I thought he was hurt. Then he flopped like a fish and came free. Not sure I can bull dog a 5 wt . the next time this happens. :cboy:

We had a bull 2000#'s flip a hay ring upside down and somehow make it fall back on top of him and got trapped and walked the whole pasture with him inside it :clap: . I have a picture of him inside im trying to find atm. We ran fast and picked it up and he walked through it took a while but we got it off him. :lol: Good luck.

SFFarms":1v4zcex6 said:
We had a bull 2000#'s flip a hay ring upside down and somehow make it fall back on top of him and got trapped and walked the whole pasture with him inside it :clap: . I have a picture of him inside im trying to find atm. We ran fast and picked it up and he walked through it took a while but we got it off him. :lol: Good luck.

We had this happen with a two year old bull.

Had one old cow get her head caught in one of the small slant holes where a cow ought not put her head. Had to cut her out with a hacksaw. we were overcrowed though and added more rings and sold some cows and no problem since.

pdfangus":3vw7vupz said:
SFFarms":3vw7vupz said:

We had this happen with a two year old bull.

Had one old cow get her head caught in one of the small slant holes where a cow ought not put her head. Had to cut her out with a hacksaw. we were overcrowed though and added more rings and sold some cows and no problem since.

I've had that happen with a bull and a pasture gate. Stuck his head through and got stuck so he just pulled the hinges loose. We didn't know what happened until we found the bull still toting the gate. Lucky for him he managed to get it off himself because I was at a complete loss as to what to do next. Like Dun says if they fit into a mess they should be able to work their way out.

Your best bet is a hacksaw, or something to spread the bars with. The thing is, that they sometimes go in one hole, and then try to come out a different one. Not all holes are always the same size and cows aren't real smart about that. We have had yearlings caught, they are generally the easiest to deal with, we have had bulls caught, and they are no fun. Had a 2000 lb horned hereford bull stick his head in a hole and end up with the feeder more or less on top of him. Fortunately, we found him alive, and he was quiet enough we could cut the bar without him going on the fight. That is one of those "now what :???: :shock: " moments.

yeah we have had that happen. Our solution was to drill holes in every other bar that comes down adn run a cable through the holes weaving it in and out. This stops them from climbing in but once they get bigger it takes the hair off their necks cause they rub on it.

Latest posts