Stuck Hereford on my Reds and Blacks

Help Support CattleToday:

MTplainsman

Reaction score
I miss the days when my family always kept a bunch of Hereford/ Angus crosses. They were hardy, easy keeping, gentle, and kept thier condition, while outlasting many other straight breeds or crosses. When the calves dropped on the cold frozen ground, it was these types that rose to thier feet within minutes, saving thier lives. I finally bought some Horned two yo bulls the year before last, and threw them on half my herd. So far I am pleased, and the value I beleive I will get out of these bulls should be great. I got these 2 yo bulls at $2,400 apiece, and have proven to be exellent for calving ease this year.

Here's one of the 3 yo old bulls I had in service this summer.
CowpicsA011-1.jpg

CowpicsA004-1.jpg

Here's a few calf results early this Summer.
Cowpics009-3.jpg

CowpicsA005-1.jpg

Goliath022.jpg

Goliath029.jpg

Goliath019.jpg

Very nice cattle. I love the capacity on some of those red cows and the calves look really good. Have you weaned and sold them yet?

Absolutely beautyful country , lovely herd. You must be doin it right. What kind of prices are you gettin on the red calves?

good morning, yes herefords lend quite a bit to a good herd. i have some half hereford/m.grey heifers and am really pleased with how they have come along. carcasses should be more in line with what i want to produce.
what kind of grass is that under bull? crested wheatgrass?

~

Really good looking herd.

I am, however, puzzled.... how come you don't have any ROCKS in your fields ????????

I got a billion extras I could send ya.....

P M me your address.....

tlmcr, the calves are going to Glasgow this Thursday straight off the cows this year. No weaning or creep... next year will be different.

sodfarmer490, That isn't CW grass, but looks similiar. Not sure what exactly it is , but we do have these varieties in this country:

Brome grass, Fescue, Foxtail, Crested Wheat grass, Wild Rye, Canary Grass, Needle grass, Blue Stem, Buffalo grass, Cord grass, Grama, Indian grass, Sandreed, Switch grass.

los manires, I don't recall what I got on my Reds alone, but I remember doing poorly on all my steer calves last year at .98 at Miles City. Hope to get a 1.02 this year. My weaning weights are too large for most buyers, and I get discounted. My average weaning last year was 660 lbs. Most buyer want anywhere from 350 to 550 lb calves and will bid high to get them too.

CowCop, LOL! Oh... we got rocks up the 'ol corn chute, trust me. The pics are decieving, as they don't show up at long range with all the stuble, but in this country we are plagued with them!!! If we didn't have snow on the ground I'd take some pics of our rocks that we have to battle.

I luv herfrds, I bought my Hereford bulls from good friends of ours, the J bar E ranch of Plentywood. It is run by Arvid and Linda Eggen. Arvid's sister is Joanne Beery of Beery Land and Livestock from Circle, who also sell registered Herefords.

after looking @ your photos---the young calf in the last photo, has exact markings as my 79 E. she just gave birth to a little bull,w/a pure white face. my white faced momas had either solid reds or blotch red calves.
flip of the coin?

This is the type and kind of commercial beef cattle that will make you money with an minimum of labor expended. They look fine, and the Hereford cross with your cow herd seems to be nicking very well.

DOC HARRIS

This may be should be a different topic--

but I hear it loosely used and I'm ignorant.
People refer "commercial " and then they refer to other s such as "purebred" etc.
Excuse my ignorance but what defines some of these different nomenclature?
mine are often referred as commercial, some other say it isn't??

Commercial cows can be purebred or crossbred generally raised for meat production. Registered cows are generally purebred but not always, it just refers to them being registerd with an organization some of whitch require 100% pure some different amounts of a certain blood. The registered breeders are selling genetics generally as in bulls & replacement females.

Sage is right - but it is a little confusing to hear "commercial" and "purebred" used interchangeably. The cow herd may be purebred, and either Registered or not, with a registered cattle association, but not necessarliy have a registration certificate for any particular individual in the herd. The primary thrust and business intent of the breeder is through marketing the cattle as a commercial enterprise, feedlot, or selling through a salebarn, or private treaty sales for commercial use. REGISTERED cattle, of course MUST be purebred and possess a registration number in the Association's (of that particular breed) herd book.

DOC HARRIS

Registered cattle do not have to be purebred. Check out the Cat 1A, Cat 1B, Cat 2, Cat 3 in the RAAA. All of these are registered and have a registration # in the RAAA but only the Cat 1A are required 100% Angus.

Sage":v1x4sdz8 said:
Registered cattle do not have to be purebred. Check out the Cat 1A, Cat 1B, Cat 2, Cat 3 in the RAAA. All of these are registered and have a registration # in the RAAA but only the Cat 1A are required 100% Angus.
-You are right, Sage! I overlooked that technicality!

But, generally speaking in normal conversation - Registerd cattle with a Registration number in the Association's Herdbook, are considered Purebred.

If we wanted to be picky, NOTHING is purebred in the strictest sense of the word, but any animal that has had "Purebred" sires in EACH of the previous 7 generations is "purebred".

DOC HARRIS

Very good Doc, kinda like the misconception that just cause they are registered they are better than commercial. That would be nice since regisered genetics expand more but I have as well as other people have some commercial cows that are better than some registered, they just don't have the important papers saying so.