Stubborn Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria

Reaction score
I have a two year old cow who has decided that she is the most stubborn creature that ever walked the planet. Last year she would have moments but would always give in. This year if I lead her a direction she wants to go she walks beautifully. If I try to get her going a different way she becomes horribly stubborn.
I don't always have a person at the back end to crank her tail and I don't ever let her win, she goes where I want her to go and then gets a scratch for it BUT the question I have is there anyway of getting her over this stubborness or are some cows just like this?

You might try tying her up for a couple hours before you walk her. It'll tire her out some so she'll be more willing to go where you want her to go. But you might be right...she might just be stubborn.

When you try to pull her a different direction, try pulling her sharply the direction you want to go.. it will unbalance her, and force her to put a foot out to balance. Usually one step is all it takes to get them going! I've done the same thing trying to get one to go straight.. I just pull them sharply off to the side, and when the start forward, straighten back out.

Good luck!

jaydill":2tfkesl1 said:
You might try tying her up for a couple hours before you walk her. It'll tire her out some so she'll be more willing to go where you want her to go. But you might be right...she might just be stubborn.

Nah, standing tied up for hours is fine with her it involves no movement! :lol:

TheBullLady":3731cqx0 said:
When you try to pull her a different direction, try pulling her sharply the direction you want to go.. it will unbalance her, and force her to put a foot out to balance. Usually one step is all it takes to get them going! I've done the same thing trying to get one to go straight.. I just pull them sharply off to the side, and when the start forward, straighten back out.

Good luck!

I tried that, I think I read it on here once. One step doesn't get her going. I did have a thought today though. As I said she has always been on the stubborn side but I am wondering if she is worse now because I have been halter training her calf and she wants attention. She is jealous of her. I wouldn't be concerned except I am thinking of showing the calf this year and will have to take the cow along and don't want to deal with her if she won't move.

How does the calf walk? I was just thinking, but if you walked the calf in front of her and she did well, would she be more apt to and try to get the attention? I don't know if it will work, but I would give it a try. Good Luck!

Victoria":zimsd38w said:
jaydill":zimsd38w said:

It's not that it involves movement. It makes her tired...thus making her more likely to go the direction you want. Trust me. We had a steer in our barn that wouldn't go anywhere. The girl started tying him up for a few hours each day and he started walking good for her.

LaurenE":1w6re454 said:
How does the calf walk? I was just thinking, but if you walked the calf in front of her and she did well, would she be more apt to and try to get the attention? I don't know if it will work, but I would give it a try. Good Luck!

The calf is just learning but sadly enough does better than her mother. I will try it.

jaydill":2mcsv2f6 said:
Victoria":2mcsv2f6 said:
jaydill":2mcsv2f6 said:

It's not that it involves movement. It makes her tired...thus making her more likely to go the direction you want. Trust me. We had a steer in our barn that wouldn't go anywhere. The girl started tying him up for a few hours each day and he started walking good for her.

I've done it for an hour to no avail, guess it wasn't long enough. When the weather improves a bit I'll take your advice.
Thanks.

Victoria":2scj947s said:
jaydill":2scj947s said:
Victoria":2scj947s said:
jaydill":2scj947s said:

I've done it for an hour to no avail, guess it wasn't long enough. When the weather improves a bit I'll take your advice.
Thanks.
An hour is no where near long enough. I'm talking three, four hours even.

Jay

Sounds to me like she was just spoiled when she was young and you let her walk all over you too much. I have learned that it is alot easier to make a bad habit than a good one.

Hold her head up high when you walk her and when you turn her in the direction you want to go, hold her head up higher and push against her nose with your elbow. Tried it with my steer and now he's a wonder lol :lol: She will have to turn no choice. If she doesnt get to moving, if you have a rope halter tie nylon string around the end of the lead real tight and put electrical tape around it. Makes a good hard end for smackin on the butt :)

WarriorPatriot":1z37cf55 said:
Hold her head up high when you walk her and when you turn her in the direction you want to go, hold her head up higher and push against her nose with your elbow. Tried it with my steer and now he's a wonder lol :lol: She will have to turn no choice. If she doesnt get to moving, if you have a rope halter tie nylon string around the end of the lead real tight and put electrical tape around it. Makes a good hard end for smackin on the butt :)
How's that steer comin along, by the way?

cowboy13":ajrnszqo said:
When your weather gets better tie her up in the morning. Come back and try to lead her at times during the day. If she dosen't wan't to walk, tie her back up. Do it till she decides to walk. Also, lead her to her food and water. Pretty soon she will get hungry and thirsty and want to walk.

I have no problem getting her to food and water. It isn't an issue of her not walking, just that she only wants to go in certain directions.

kaneranch":3qgi9ngc said:
Sounds to me like she was just spoiled when she was young and you let her walk all over you too much. I have learned that it is alot easier to make a bad habit than a good one.

I didn't train her. When I got her she hated the halter (had to be cornered to be caught), would stand tied for days but was always a bit of a problem being led. For awhile she was getting better, now is worse again. She now is easily caught and will still stand for days so actually she's improved since I got her. I don't let her walk all over me though. She is made to go where I want her to go, it just sometimes takes a lot longer than I would like it to.

WarriorPatriot":3pbzn41j said:

There's a thought, worked with the horses. I was thinking of tying a rope to her tail and that way I could crank her tail.

jaydill":fiuod9ft said:
WarriorPatriot":fiuod9ft said:

Hes coming along fine, got a bit of fat on him though, he bloated terribly the other day :oops: Got into some hay that was in the pasture after irrigation..Ill be posting pics of him soon :)

WarriorPatriot":1ew8jv91 said:
jaydill":1ew8jv91 said:
WarriorPatriot":1ew8jv91 said:

Hes coming along fine, got a bit of fat on him though, he bloated terribly the other day :oops: Got into some hay that was in the pasture after irrigation..Ill be posting pics of him soon :)
Alright. It'll be nice to see how he's looking now.

Latest posts