Stubborn Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Of the 3 options, the all milk is more important to me then being medicated. Surely there is another source of milk replacer in your area

I live in a very small town. I cannot git the Purina to order me the all milk milk replacer. I am gonna try Barlett feed tomorrow. I dont have many options here I will try to find the all milk milk replacer that is medicated. I was thinking since the grain is medicated would it be ok to do without the medicated in the all milk milk replacer? What about the calf manna?

dun":31q45cd0 said:
Of the 3 options, the all milk is more important to me then being medicated. Surely there is another source of milk replacer in your area

I agree, the medication ( oxytetracycline/neomycin ) is not important . Use the all milk and a good calf starter and that should do it .

Larry

syork":28bsrblz said:
I was thinking since the grain is medicated would it be ok to do without the medicated in the all milk milk replacer?

I've never used a medicated milk replacer, and I had no problems.

What about the calf manna?

I'm not sure what you're asking - sorry.

I dont know much about the calf manna. I have always used a calf starter with the calves and someone suggested to use the calf manna. Is it just a supplement or a grain and how much do i feed? I also heard that the calf manna has milk in it. I am wondering when should I worm? He is almost 6 weeks old and I was wondering when should I worm him and when should he be wormed again. Hes grazing on grass now but not eating his grain. I am wondering if i should wean him without the grain since hes eating grass well.

syork":1757698q said:
I dont know much about the calf manna. I have always used a calf starter with the calves and someone suggested to use the calf manna. Is it just a supplement or a grain and how much do i feed? I also heard that the calf manna has milk in it.

I can't help you with the calf manna, as I have never used it - sorry.

I am wondering when should I worm? He is almost 6 weeks old and I was wondering when should I worm him and when should he be wormed again.

He can be wormed right now - just follow the instruction on the product label. We generally wormed twice a year - once in the spring, and again in fall.

I am wondering if i should wean him without the grain since hes eating grass well.

I wouldn't. Grass alone will usually not provide the kind of protein that growing bottle calves need. You might consider adding a little molasses to your grain, and curtailing his grazing a bit until he learns to eat grain better.

Latest posts