Stubborn Calf Help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I had a cow calve about 10 days ago and the calf is still only nursing on one quarter. The cow has large teats so we milked her out 3 days ago so she doesn't get mastitis. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I fear the calf is not getting enough to eat and may get pneumonia now that it has been raining for a few days. Any ideas on what might help this or what might be wrong with the cow or calf would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks

Shelby

Promise Land Ranch":1a8c0ga2 said:
I had a cow calve about 10 days ago and the calf is still only nursing on one quarter. The cow has large teats so we milked her out 3 days ago so she doesn't get mastitis. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I fear the calf is not getting enough to eat and may get pneumonia now that it has been raining for a few days. Any ideas on what might help this or what might be wrong with the cow or calf would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks

Shelby

i have seen this before.. and usually the calf will finally settle in on all four once it needs more than it can get from the 1 or 2. i know this may not be best, but usually it works out ok.. best thing imo, is to cull this cow. but right now the calf is most likely getting enough out of the 1. it cant drink what all four will produce, but will later.

good luck

jt

Happens all the time, until they need more milk they will nurse either a single quarter or from front two or rear two or sometimes just one side. Give it more time and it should nurse.

I get rid of cows that have large teats.

I had a cow that went through that every year. You need to milk out daily the teats that are not getting nursed on so they continue to produce milk. Eventually as the calf gets stronger and hungrier it will nurse on the others also as long as they have been milked out . If it seems hungry you might have to bottle feed it. If you use her milk - make sure it is good fresh milk & not stringy or bloody milk. Also you can try to put her in the head stall and help the calf get the hang of nursing on the other teats after you have emptied them a little.

Orerancher":10gshb6j said:
Hey Shelby, That a Highland calf?

No, Its a Hereford/Angus cow and A Heinz 57 calf. I don't want to cull her because She is dead broke to lead, comes to her name, heck you can even ride her!! I haven't been ranching long enough to know about the more stranger things cows do. I do however at age 18 own 18 cows (6 Reg Highlands, Longhorn, angus, hereford/shorthorn, Jersey, Highland Cross and who knows what else) 5 butcher hogs, 2 milk goats, 25 or so chickens and one unridable horse.

Just for the record I have never had any problems with any of my Highland Calves!! They always figure it out right off the bat.

Thanks for all the posts and advice.

Shelby

i had one this year that went two weeks before he nursed the front two quarters. this cows teats are large and they get bigger every year. she is a good cow, raises a good calf, it does get worse every year.

Latest posts