Struggling Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi I have a 10 month old steer that was banded at 1 month old. He's grown really well fat as can be. Just the other day I noticed he was waddling as he walked and there was a swollen lump about the size of a grapefruit where his testicles Used to be. I haven't gotten a picture yet. Any ideas? My top thought was snake bite. Because I have had cow's bit in the udder and a calf bit in the face.

Notice how his stomach is hanging down...

Attachments

• KIMG2727.JPG
    KIMG2727.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 40
  • KIMG2728.JPG
    KIMG2728.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 40
  • KIMG2729.JPG
    KIMG2729.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 40
Yes he was when I drove up to him. I have a 34 second video of him walking, but when I tried to upload it, it says the file is to big?

I think he had a bad heart since he was born, my husband always said there's something not right with that calf. I was hoping he was wrong lol But he wasn't.

Ken,
I used to see some pretty sizable calves with ventricular septal defects. Was always somewhat surprised that they got as big as they did - some up to 400 lb - before they spiraled rapidly into uncompromised congestive heart failure and died.

IF you think it could be an ongoing issue consider using a different genetic base.