Strojan Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

StrojanHerefords

Reaction score
I am Paul Strojan from California. I am joining Cattle Today because I am tired of seeing the little guy get killed. I believe that each area is different and we need cattle that are selected to work in our environment. I run a herd of Herefords that my grandfather started when he got back from the Second World War.
My breeding philosophy is to source as broad of a genetic base as possible and see what works in my conditions.

Keep them Horny

Do you find that working with all horned stock adds any extra considerations
I am not exactly sure what exactly you are curious about.
I find that working cattle with shaped horns are easiest to handle. The biggest advantage is that in a head gate, a polled animal will from time to time be able to back out, where horns prevent that.
I do have a challenge differentiating what I am doing with my old school Hereford genetics from the modern Horned Polled Herefords.

I am not exactly sure what exactly you are curious about.
I find that working cattle with shaped horns are easiest to handle. The biggest advantage is that in a head gate, a polled animal will from time to time be able to back out, where horns prevent that.
I do have a challenge differentiating what I am doing with my old school Hereford genetics from the modern Horned Polled Herefords.
I meant, having dealt mostly with polled cattle other than a small assortment of horned animals in beef herds and working with rodeo stock when I used to work rodeos, do you find that for instance working them in a pen on foot or doctoring one under range conditions presents any extra layer of difficulty or consideration? For instance, I learned from what few horned cows we've had and what time I've spent working with rodeo stock that they have an "extended range" of head radius that you have to be mindful of.

I take the Conway Twitty approach to working cattle. "You want a man with a slow hand." I don't use horses or dogs and try to avoid hot shots. If I need to doctor something I find a rope around the horns superior to around the neck or even nose tongs.

Latest posts