Strip grazing 12volt battery chargers

Help Support CattleToday:

gwece

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on 12 volt strip grazing battery chargers? Been looking at the ones Kencove sells. Wondering how many volts they put out. Thanks

Got a pile of these. Old metal ones were a great value till they didn't work anymore. New red plastic ones seem to be sealed better, and can be left in the open.

They put out 11K volts in an ideal setting. About 7K volts is more common. They will drop below 5K volts if you have poor connections, poor grounds, or miles of wire.

Solar is the way to go if it is a semi permanent set up.

Last edited:
If you are serious go with a Cyclops Brute Solar if you do not have access to 110 volt.
If you do have access to 110 then go with a Cyclops Brute 8 joule.
How close is 110 volt to the cattle?
What ever you use never allow your cattle to walk over a wire!

Good fencing materials and a well built fence are way more important than which charger you use. Like most things bigger is better but something you can get serviced locally is probably just as important. As far as solar goes, you will probably be checking the cattle fairly frequently, or should be, and a GOOD 12v battery will last a long time on a fencer. If you use a battery that won't start your lawnmower then you get what you deserve. I'd really spend the $ on a bigger charger and good materials than on solar panels. We use only Gallagher fencing supplies and many different types and sizes of chargers. Keep the wire on insulators and build good corners and you should be fine. We use the nylon cam straps that are used for securing loads in your pick up box to tighten the wire by hand when we tie the insulators to the posts. If you can't step on it and drive over with your quad then it is too tight. It is not a piano, the charge keeps cattle in not the wire.

Another vote for Parmak. I have 4 of these (https://parmakusa.com/product/magnum-12uo/) in use, the oldest of which has been running non-stop since 2017...on the same deep-cycle battery. They are out in the pasture with dedicated solar panels & controllers. I do give them protection/shielding from rain, etc. - but they are tough enough to hold up to nature.

Solar Charger Setup number 2.jpg

What are you wanting to do?
Are the animals hot wire broke?
How much fence are you planning on having hooked up at one time?

I have one of these chargers ordered. https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/primashock-8-fence-energizers-kits?cat_id=245&option_id[0]=78

Grandson has had one a couple of months and is happy do far. He has a solar panel and battery set up to run it. I need to keep my bull where he belongs as well as the neighbors is the start of this project. I'm also considering doing some strip grazing or controlled grazing on a few spots at least.

I have 3 Parmak Magnum 12 chargers. Been using them for 10+ years with no issues. I think they have all had a battery replaced one time. But that after years of service.

Latest posts