Stringing Barb Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have built or paid to have built perimeter and cross fences on my property. I have decided to install four strands of barb wire over the existing field fence for added strength and durability. The cows keep pushing down the field fence between the top strand of barb wire and the top of the field fence.
I have looked for wire un-rollers that would work off my three point hitch on the tractor. What I find is hydrolic powered. Does anyone manufacture a round spool holder that will fit the hitch or do I just have to find materials to build my own. I have no welding equipment.
Tom

For this last run I built new one. Describing it will likely sound complicated but it is actually quite simple.

I took 2 inch tube steel 4 foot long and stuck it in the receiver hitch of the truck. I burned a hole for the pin. It can now be inserted into my truck receiver and pinned just like the stinger you use for your trailer ball.

Coming up off of the end of the tube steel vertically I used a receiver end welded to the tube steel. This is for a bench vice in the field or anything else that needs securing.

For the barbed wire, I came up off of the receiver end 2 feet with a tube steel member. One inch round stock about 4 foot long was welded to the tube steel in a T. Put two flat washers on either side of the tube steel, slid down on the round stock. Put a 1 inch piece of pipe about an inch wider than your barbed wire roll on each side. Put another washer on the end of the pipe. Add another piece of pipe all the way to the end of the round stock minus about an inch. Drill a hole through the end and use a latch pin like you would on your 3 point to ensure the last washer/pipe does not slide off of the round stock.

You can now place 4 wire spools on the T and drive along the fence path. The flat washers keep the spools separated and the also keep them from coming off of the end or from contacting the center tube steel member.

Slide the pipe through the barbed wire to load in onto the round stock, holding the pipe. Add your space washer and add the next roll on pipe. (for each side)

I stopped every 300 feet and pulled the wire taught with a golden rod. The wire was never cut. I would just drive on to the next pull point (H brace). This allowed me to pull 4 wires at once. I then went back and added two more for 6 strands total.

My BIL used this on his 4 wheeler just last week and thought it was really slick. It sure beats trying to carry the wire on the spools.

As said, one you get the 4 foot extension built, you can use it for a vice platform and other things.

How much fence are you talking about? My personal preference is to say forget the !@#$^%&(*)(&%$~ :mad: barbed wire, and run a single hot wire along the inside, but hate barbed wire with a passion. Danged stupid cows will lay it to the ground like it's dull, but when I touch it, it cuts me in 17 places on the same hand.

jkwilson":br77pbiy said:
How much fence are you talking about? My personal preference is to say forget the !@#$^%&(*)(&%$~ :mad: barbed wire, and run a single hot wire along the inside, but hate barbed wire with a passion. Danged stupid cows will lay it to the ground like it's dull, but when I touch it, it cuts me in 17 places on the same hand.

If I ran that single hot wire on the inside, I'd have a few hundred extra cows most of the time. My north fence will almost hold water. My north neighbor's angus bull goes to the road and circles through two other neighbors place to get to my hay fields :mad: I don't care how hot your wire is, you are not going to stop him. He likes to bring cows with him too.

I do have lots of video of this bull wrecking fence and hot wires. It video taped just in case we had a killing two years ago with his previous angus bull.

backhoeboogie":1tfngl2y said:
For this last run I built new one. Describing it will likely sound complicated but it is actually quite simple.

I took 2 inch tube steel 4 foot long and stuck it in the receiver hitch of the truck. I burned a hole for the pin. It can now be inserted into my truck receiver and pinned just like the stinger you use for your trailer ball.

Coming up off of the end of the tube steel vertically I used a receiver end welded to the tube steel. This is for a bench vice in the field or anything else that needs securing.

For the barbed wire, I came up off of the receiver end 2 feet with a tube steel member. One inch round stock about 4 foot long was welded to the tube steel in a T. Put two flat washers on either side of the tube steel, slid down on the round stock. Put a 1 inch piece of pipe about an inch wider than your barbed wire roll on each side. Put another washer on the end of the pipe. Add another piece of pipe all the way to the end of the round stock minus about an inch. Drill a hole through the end and use a latch pin like you would on your 3 point to ensure the last washer/pipe does not slide off of the round stock.

You can now place 4 wire spools on the T and drive along the fence path. The flat washers keep the spools separated and the also keep them from coming off of the end or from contacting the center tube steel member.

Slide the pipe through the barbed wire to load in onto the round stock, holding the pipe. Add your space washer and add the next roll on pipe. (for each side)

I stopped every 300 feet and pulled the wire taught with a golden rod. The wire was never cut. I would just drive on to the next pull point (H brace). This allowed me to pull 4 wires at once. I then went back and added two more for 6 strands total.

My BIL used this on his 4 wheeler just last week and thought it was really slick. It sure beats trying to carry the wire on the spools.

As said, one you get the 4 foot extension built, you can use it for a vice platform and other things.

I built one also with an old three point hitch can pull two strands at once welded old disc on the inside of each roller bar then a piece of plate with a bolt on the outside.

Caustic Burno":vz0u7eek said:
I built one also with an old three point hitch can pull two strands at once welded old disc on the inside of each roller bar then a piece of plate with a bolt on the outside.

Mine is similar except rather then weld the old disks I used a bolt through the crossbar to keep them from moving.

kerley":1fb6hr2s said:
I have built or paid to have built perimeter and cross fences on my property. I have decided to install four strands of barb wire over the existing field fence for added strength and durability. The cows keep pushing down the field fence between the top strand of barb wire and the top of the field fence.
I have looked for wire un-rollers that would work off my three point hitch on the tractor. What I find is hydrolic powered. Does anyone manufacture a round spool holder that will fit the hitch or do I just have to find materials to build my own. I have no welding equipment.
Tom

Go to this site and look at the wire un-reeler I have one and it works pretty good.
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=52365

kerley":3ez6apof said:
Tom

If you are looking for some experience I will be offering a free tutorial this spring on rebuilding fence.
I have a bunch of Presidential Influenced fence left from Ike that needs to be fixed.