Stretching Barbed Wire Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

GoldenRod... never had a stretch so long that I couldn't get it plenty tight with one of those. That being said, I've given up on barbed wire. Everything I build now is HT electric (with reel tensioners), fiberglass H braced end posts and fiberglass rod line posts. Permanent, no worries, no insulators to break, no post to break off. One and done.

Come along or the backhoe. Like SBMF, claw hammer or fencing pliers at times.

Seen a good one on the job the other day. A company working on a high voltage transmission line cut a gate in a fence for access, nice new gate, braced both ways with 8" posts, braced both horizontally and diagonally, probably the best looking braces in the county. Fence is one strand rusty barb that may or may not be hot, I've seen big calves grazing the road ditch there before. Bless the contractors heart for doing a fantastic job, but it's a bit overkill at that farm! I'll take a picture if I get back that way.
2FADCD4D-7A1C-4489-B78E-D920EBA23FBF.jpeg77DECD63-C2E9-4851-B10B-2E4E8CA8CC47.jpeg

Only thing streched tight around here is the gates. The fences all sag but good luck getting a gate closed. Fences are a suggestion not a barrier.
I like that. Fences are a suggestion not a barrier. I'll say my fences are in that category too. Luckily, my cows have no reason to want on the other side. I don't border anyone else with cattle, and the grass isn't greener on the other side, so mine abide by the suggestion.

I like that. Fences are a suggestion not a barrier. I'll say my fences are in that category too. Luckily, my cows have no reason to want on the other side. I don't border anyone else with cattle, and the grass isn't greener on the other side, so mine abide by the suggestion.
When my father's fences would be down, he would just shrug and say, "My cows know where they can go and where they aren't supposed to."

Most of the time, most of mine are the same way, but I have a pretty busy farm-to-market highway runs the full length of this property, and have on occasion had an animal that, even tho already standing in tall grass, would spy just a few sparse mouthfulls of green grass outside the fence and be bound and determined to reach it and it's too often growing alongside or in the highway right of way, so I try to abide by a different suggestion.

"Neither God nor man has ever built a fence tall enough or strong enough to keep a determined cow in or a determined lawyer out."

Latest posts