Stretching Barbed Wire Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Just wondering what others use to stretch barbed wire with when installing or repairing.
I watched videos with a "walking chain stretcher" and they look neat. A number of people like the Golden rod series.
I use a "bulldog" pipe stretcher come for short to medium runs and a 2 ton cable come along for long stretches. Also have a little short pipe stretcher from Kencove I carry some. In a pinch, I have used the fence t. I really like the way the Bulldog grips all the way around the wire and can't jump off. Usually have to knock the ring loose a little after you finish the stretch. i even bought a set of those clamps for the come along.

I use high tensile ratchets for wire I'm convinced is just going to get stretched out again. When the wire gets loose I just hit a couple of turns.
Do the barbs not get in the way of the ratchet?

Comealong to install, goldenrod to repair and Jake's wire tighteners to fix it if I have no time.

Do the barbs not get in the way of the ratchet?
I'm not Shaz, but have tried to use the ratchets on barbed wire. I hated them. Barbs took up too much room on the ratchet spool and I ran out of spool.
Worked ok on barbless single strand HT on short runs but anywhere that had a lot of length to it, I found the troublesome.

No, I mash the barbs down with my fence tool.
I never thought of that :giggle:

Let me add, if I have a break, I have used gripples too. I keep all sizes on my ranger. I put a pocket-type thing on the roll bars that I keep pliers, staples, gripples, and various other things in so I don't have to go looking for them if I see a problem.

Come along or the backhoe. Like SBMF, claw hammer or fencing pliers at times.

Seen a good one on the job the other day. A company working on a high voltage transmission line cut a gate in a fence for access, nice new gate, braced both ways with 8" posts, braced both horizontally and diagonally, probably the best looking braces in the county. Fence is one strand rusty barb that may or may not be hot, I've seen big calves grazing the road ditch there before. Bless the contractors heart for doing a fantastic job, but it's a bit overkill at that farm! I'll take a picture if I get back that way.

Only thing streched tight around here is the gates. The fences all sag but good luck getting a gate closed. Fences are a suggestion not a barrier.
3500 miles apart and apparently same guy built our fences! It's the reason I will only rent farms way off the road and surrounded by timber.

3500 miles apart and apparently same guy built our fences! It's the reason I will only rent farms way off the road and surrounded by timber.
Here they take the open range laws seriously. A lot of the country is nervous about cows getting on the road. Here I get nervous if there are no cows on the road, I wonder where they are hiding. Everything is branded and a couple times a year they get gathered and ones who don't belong get sent home.

I use a claw hammer, a come along, and a chain. Oh yeah, a machete. Most of my fence is on the tree line surrounding the property. Fences are 3 strand, nothing special but work well...... so far.

Latest posts