Street legal Utv

Help Support CattleToday:

Shanghai

Reaction score
I've been doing some research for a UTV that's small, light weight, 4x4 and etc, but street legal

Anyone know of one being manufactured that's street legal ?

I have a 2 door 97 Geo Tracker 4X4 with big mud tires that works quite well as utv. Is a convertible so can take top off back end if you want.

Texas PaPaw":2gbmqdgv said:
I have a 2 door 97 Geo Tracker 4X4 with big mud tires that works quite well as utv. Is a convertible so can take top off back end if you want.

I was thinking about that and the Samurai

Shanghai":52d7vrz5 said:
Texas PaPaw":52d7vrz5 said:

I was thinking about that and the Samurai

Also have an old Samurai with electrical issues. Tracker rides better and more maneuverable than samurai. Also my tracker has auto tranny where samurai is 4 speed. Like driving the auto much better. Would make someone a deal on the samurai if want a fixer upper or rock crawler project. Needs electrical repairs and could use a valve job. Has good driveline.

Doesn't require all that much to license an ATV/UTV in SD. My 2013 Honda Rancher 420 is street legal. I bought the 4 wheeler new and had the dealer install the necessary items before I took delivery.

The Rancher came with a speedometer and tail light/brake light. Basically only had to add a windshield and mirror. I don't have turn signals. I used small zip ties to affix the license plate on the rear rack.

Reason I got the ATV licensed was I intended to let my sister use it at her house in town through the winter for snow removal. She only used it once. Would rather use her walk behind snowblower.

Brought it home that first spring, took the snow blade off and I've never put it back on it since. Kubota gets to move snow here. ;-)

I still keep the license current. Drove the ATV to get my mail and had lots of bikers wave at me a couple weeks ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

40MPH is about the top end the Rancher seems comfortable with. 45MPH for several miles straight seems to be pushing too hard. Most UTVs are probably faster than that.

In Texas if you want to avoid EMS picking you up with a sponge...lots of truck traffic here... Just drive your ATV or whatever it is in the wide Bar Ditches... not on roads. Just watch out for culverts and holes...lol.

Right on, RAB.
Almost every 'ATV fatality' I see reported here are folks driving 'em on the highway or paved roads - and either colliding with or being hit by a car/truck - or losing control traveling at excessive speeds. They're not designed for on-road use!

We bought one of the little LHD Mitsubishi mini-trucks, for farm use a couple of years back. Was street-legal in TN, but not in KY.

Running Arrow Bill":30yrrd8j said:
In Texas if you want to avoid EMS picking you up with a sponge...lots of truck traffic here... Just drive your ATV or whatever it is in the wide Bar Ditches... not on roads. Just watch out for culverts and holes...lol.
They catch ya driving one (or anything) in the bar ditches around here, they throw ya in the pokey and impound the vehicle.
Tex DPS was going to write me up and call the wrecker for riding mine in the ditch in front of my place, just going from the East gate down to check the lock on the West gate. Told him I was too old to walk that far and he told me to get a horse, and He wasn't in a joking mood either.

Around here, NOBODY is going to say anything about a UTV on the road as long as its for farm use. I have the orange triangle on the back of mine.

Latest posts