Strays

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone in Texas know how long a cow or bull from another persons pasture has to stay in your pasture before you can sell it? I don't mind baby sitting for a while, but I get tired of the owners not making any effort to come after them when they know they are in my pasture. Thanks.

[email protected]

I also live in Central Texas, and my suggestion to you would be to contact your county sheriff department for advise on proper procedures. This will keep you out of any legal problems.

> Does anyone in Texas know how long
> a cow or bull from another persons
> pasture has to stay in your
> pasture before you can sell it? I
> don't mind baby sitting for a
> while, but I get tired of the
> owners not making any effort to
> come after them when they know
> they are in my pasture. Thanks.

[email protected]

> between working a real job, baling hay, and family I've been guilty of taking my time but anything over a week and I'll offer to pay for the graze and at least try to tell the land owner what's going on.

[email protected]

Located in south central Texas. My neighbor had three cows show up on his property. He called neighbors in the areas and no one claimed them. He called the sheriff's office and they contacted the area livestock exchange to pick up the animals. The sales barn sold them after a certain time and my neighbor was given reimbursement for feed and water for the days he kept them. From what I understand, the remainder went to the county.> Does anyone in Texas know how long
> a cow or bull from another persons
> pasture has to stay in your
> pasture before you can sell it? I
> don't mind baby sitting for a
> while, but I get tired of the
> owners not making any effort to
> come after them when they know
> they are in my pasture. Thanks.

[email protected]

Here in CA they actually have a set amount you can charge per day for strays. We have a problem with our neighbor's bulls. They tear the fences down when they get in and then tear them down when they leave. You have to take them to small claims court to get reimbursed for the damages, that includes Holstein bulls getting in with your beef cows. A big problem here because the neighbors don't believe in castration. I did finally tell him that the next bull that wanders over here will be wandering home without his balls. They had their pet Holstein bull with a halter dragging a tire around, you can imagine the damage he does to our fences.

[email protected]

No easy answer to that one. I would keep in mind that it always pays to try and get along with neighbors.

I would say the rules are a little different depending on whether you are running stock or not. If you are and he has a bull that keeps getting in, and his bull is better than yours (assuming you run a bull), it's not as big of a deal unless you're feeding in the winter. If his cows are getting in with yours then you should remember that both of you have responsibility to keep the fences up. Of course it's no fun having a lazy neighbor, but it usually does pay to get along.

I agree that the sheriff should be in the loop on any action taken. If you give up on the neighbor and plan to load him and take him to the sale it would not hurt to contact the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association and seek some guidance.

<A HREF="http://www.texascattleraisers.org/index2.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.texascattleraisers.org/index2.htm</A>

Latest posts