Strays again

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":6uorerxb said:
M-5":6uorerxb said:
Caustic Burno":6uorerxb said:
Man here you better call the sheriff.
Texas has some strange estray laws.
Fifty cent pony end up being a show horse costing you thousands.
Sounds like liberals have ruined tx

No actually these fence and range laws go back to the 1800's. They have common law in the state along with county laws. It is as screwed up as a football bat. Selling one here is theft.

I posted this before it's an entertaining and educational read.

Just because stray livestock are on one's land does not mean the landowner can automatically claim them or remove them by other methods. Disposing of estrays outside of the procedure in Chapter 142 may be considered livestock theft.
https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/files/2 ... wnload.pdf
§ 2-38-101. Custody of animals at large
Every citizen, a resident householder in any county in this state, on finding any horse, mare,
mule, jack, or jenny or any domesticated cattle, hogs, or sheep, of any age running at large, the
owner of which is not known, may take the animal into his or her custody. § 2-38-104. Impounder obligations and responsibilities
(a)(1) Every person taking up any stray animal shall immediately, if the animal is marked or
branded, proceed to the office of the clerk of the county court of the county in which the animal
is taken up and shall cause the clerk to examine the State Brand Book.
(2) If it is found that the mark or brand upon the animal taken up is entered upon the book, the
taker-up or impounder of the animal shall at once notify the owner of the mark or brand, of his
or her having taken up the animal, giving an exact description thereof.
(3)(A) The taker-up or impounder of an animal shall receive a reasonable compensation for his
or her trouble. The trouble is no brand, only generic tags, on one, the other not even a tag. Arkansas.

We had a mess awhile back. Neighbors cows were all out in the road, around 30 pairs. Apparently the hired hand left the gate open. Someone stoped and opened the gate to my pasture, ran them all in. What a rodeo that was. Gate now has a lock on it

T & B farms":1x5a34gk said:
We had a mess awhile back. Neighbors cows were all out in the road, around 30 pairs. Apparently the hired hand left the gate open. Someone stoped and opened the gate to my pasture, ran them all in. What a rodeo that was. Gate now has a lock on it

My frontage is all high tensile woven wire. Gate is a 20 foot BULL gate. Always chained and locked!

Bright Raven":1xxgugv5 said:
T & B farms":1xxgugv5 said:

My frontage is all high tensile woven wire. Gate is a 20 foot BULL gate. Always chained and locked!

That's the way to have it. This was just a rented pasture 15 miles from home. About as sad of a fence as you can imagine. I ran a single Hotwire along the whole interior to keep mine in.

The back of my farm is located on a blacktop county road where subdividing has brought in a lot of trailers on three to ten acre lots and some mansions on the 50 acre and larger tracts. Back there I have some fenced fields I maintain and one large unfenced hayfield with a barn. Fences on these other people's tracts has not been maintained for many years.
An absentee owner turned out some horses on a small tract that is now a grassless sea of mud. They get out constantly and graze yards and my hayfield. Someone turned them into one of my fenced tracts. I turned them back out and called the sheriff.
The sheriff contacted the owner and helped them get them back in. (calling the sheriff for stray dogs or horses is useless for they are more concerned with animal rights than farmer rights).
Well, the horses are out in the road and in my hayfield again, they are losing condition and would starve without my grass. Neighbors are not what they used to be.

Logan52":aywwanlo said:
The back of my farm is located on a blacktop county road where subdividing has brought in a lot of trailers on three to ten acre lots and some mansions on the 50 acre and larger tracts. Back there I have some fenced fields I maintain and one large unfenced hayfield with a barn. Fences on these other people's tracts has not been maintained for many years.
An absentee owner turned out some horses on a small tract that is now a grassless sea of mud. They get out constantly and graze yards and my hayfield. Someone turned them into one of my fenced tracts. I turned them back out and called the sheriff.
The sheriff contacted the owner and helped them get them back in. (calling the sheriff for stray dogs or horses is useless for they are more concerned with animal rights than farmer rights).
Well, the horses are out in the road and in my hayfield again, they are losing condition and would starve without my grass. Neighbors are not what they used to be.

Very common issue. You are in central Kentucky, then you know how bad these amateur horse people are. They buy a place in the country, put six horses on a half acre and think that is all there is to it. They only come out to their property from Lexington or Cincinnati on the weekend. Weekend farmers. They never invest in fences, they never invest in improving the forage, and they think a half acre of pasture is enough for 6 horses for ever and ever, no inputs. Some don't even keep them watered. It's awful.

Your only solution is to call the Sheriff or County Judge Executive. Both are elected offices so they want you happy. But the only sure resolution, is the best fence you can buy.

Some of us don't realize how well off we are.I have National Forest in front and behind me on the mountains and only join three other neighbors. In two instances,we have joint fences and we both look after the fence as neither wants their cattle out.In the third,there is a state road and a river between us and both of us keep fence on our sides.
I always try to be real understanding if one of the neighbors has cattle get on me.Next time it may be mine who get out.
None of us brand but we all use different color ear tags so finding owners is not a problem.All of us try to get along with each other and that is great,too.

Every fall when we gather for shipping and preg testing we sort off some neighbour cattle, and the neighbours do the same for us. We always take a trailer when we go to help with the sorting and testing.

Gators Rule":ame26axa said:
TennesseeTuxedo":ame26axa said:
M-5":ame26axa said:
I have 2 dam miniature ponies in one of my fields for last 2 months. Lady that owns them had back surgery and is unable to fix her fence or come get them . Hopefully they will be gone soon

Sell 'em.

Or lend a hand and help fix her fence. :mrgreen:

Agree x10, in this case. Maybe she/they are a constant PIA, but this would be one reason to get it fixed, get them out, and then once she is back on her feet, a way to diplomatically make sure they stay out with the reminder that you did this to help her out and were glad to do it but they are not your responsibility going forward. If she is a decent neighbor otherwise, then it only stands to reason to do something helpful for her.

Y'all must have forgotten. There ain't a single fence in 4 counties that is not damaged I have way too much to myself when she has an able bodied husband. They are getting called again tonight and I'm gonna tell them the brown one looks like it's almost Ready to eat.

I found my stray bison picture. This happened twice in 3 years. Both times it was a neighbours hay field, once was 11 head, the other time 13.
30s7r88.jpg

You are right, M-5. I did forget that you suffered the horrible devastation in that last storm. So I apologize to you for that. Plus, if she has an able-bodied husband then they are definitely in the wrong, to not get it fixed or fix it themselves. I was under the impression that she was by herself. What about the law? Here we call the sheriff when there are livestock out and we cannot figure out who they belong to. It's even worse when you know who they belong to and the owners don't take responsibility.
How's your reconstruction going? Did you get the shed all finished that you had shown pictures of awhile back? Hope the winter is being easy on you.

Silver":3afrd7ds said:
I found my stray bison picture. This happened twice in 3 years. Both times it was a neighbours hay field, once was 11 head, the other time 13.
30s7r88.jpg
They had to harvest them to round 'em up? One got loose in our area and my friend [the butcher] had to take it in a housing development . Caused quite a stir.

Named'em Tamed'em":fxgn3ofm said:
They had to harvest them to round 'em up? One got loose in our area and my friend [the butcher] had to take it in a housing development . Caused quite a stir.

I bet it did. Bison tend To have their own agendas and if they don't align with yours things get difficult. But they taste good so that offsets the headache a bit.
That's my wife in the foreground of the pic. I don't know how impressed she really was with the whole ordeal lol

farmerjan":1lrwva01 said:
You are right, M-5. I did forget that you suffered the horrible devastation in that last storm. So I apologize to you for that. Plus, if she has an able-bodied husband then they are definitely in the wrong, to not get it fixed or fix it themselves. I was under the impression that she was by herself. What about the law? Here we call the sheriff when there are livestock out and we cannot figure out who they belong to. It's even worse when you know who they belong to and the owners don't take responsibility.
How's your reconstruction going? Did you get the shed all finished that you had shown pictures of awhile back? Hope the winter is being easy on you.

TY , I have one barn Finished except getting some concrete and walling in a couple of bays. Still waiting on the trusses on the other one. The time it takes to cut up , grapple and pile these trees it will be a year before I can even start fixing the fence. and that is if i work daylight to day dark every weekend. The whole world has forgotten about us and some areas look like a 3 world country.