Stray voltage

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman

Reaction score
Anybody have much experience with stray voltage? I'm having some issues and beginning to think it may be tied to a slight problem with stray voltage. At what level will cows become fidgety? This problem is showing up in my parlor. Thinking of trying a ground rod and grounding the stalls and pumping station but I'm not sure if this will correct the problem or not. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Had a friend several yr ago build a new dairy barn and drill a new well he left the old well tied into the barn also just in case he needed it
some how theiur was a short in the old well and the cows were getting shocked he lost milk production and the cows got to where he couldn't get them in the barn before they found out what the problem was
A good electrician should be able to run some test for stray voltage or improper grounding

It only takes a few volts it seems to really cause problems. Less then you can feel but it sure seems to get the cows upset.

Well pumps are a common cause. Call your power company. The most common reason is the grounding scheme they use on transmission lines. They can measure it for you and some can be pretty helpful in isolating it.

jkwilson":88gztohq said:
Well pumps are a common cause. Call your power company. The most common reason is the grounding scheme they use on transmission lines. They can measure it for you and some can be pretty helpful in isolating it.

Change that to distribution and you are right on. The power companies have people dedicated to this problem around her, after farmers started throwing dead cows on the steps of the REA's.

Michele

get your electrician out to the barn pronto.an have him test your equipment for stray voltage.the prob can cause your cows scc to go up.an cause them to get mastitis.an it can be very costly.