Stray dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know your situation, but if he's not aggressive towards your livestock ; a yard dog is a great security system. We have chickens and 4 cats . My wife says no more dogs . I say no more cats . Of course I said that after 2 . 🤔
A micro second before the dog nudged the cat off into the cold pool for the 2nd time this winter. Next time I catch him at it, he's going in too and he HATES water even in mid August!

catdog.jpg

he's been wandering for a long time before he came here. local facebook page is full of his sightings going back to about new years. I have my doubt he's chipped, and he's definitely intact too.. this morning he was rolling around on the ground and showed off the nuts :ROFLMAO:
You're getting a lot of advice to keep him, and I'm actually surprised. People lose loved and well cared for animals for all kinds of reasons. To assume the dog was dumped is just that... an assumption.

I know how I'd feel losing a dog. I wouldn't wish that on any other human being.

You can always express interest in the dog if you find the owner... but likely you will have someone weeping emotionally because they have someone they love back in their care and they will be grateful.

And you will have done the right thing.

Wandering around town for weeks like this one was?
Have you ever stopped at a gas station while traveling to see relatives/friends five states away and let your dog run? How long can you afford to delay your trip?

Have you ever heard of people stealing a dog for a day or two and dumping it?

Doesn't it bother anyone that a kid may be involved?

The point being, until we KNOW... we DON'T know.

From another site I'm active on...

Can you provide examples of when it is harder to do what is right than what is wrong?

I'm involved in a discussion on another site where a well liked person has found a beautiful dog.

The well liked person began the conversation asking people what they would do. Most of the people offering advice have expressed the idea that the dog should be kept, "because". People have come up with several scenarios to justify keeping the dog. Most involve blaming the missing owner.

These good people don't know anything about the circumstances of the dog being lost, or anything about the dog's owner… but they like the dog and the person that found it and they are willing to make assumptions to justify questionable advice.

The discussion has gone on for over a week and as it has evolved it is easy to see that the person finding the dog has become attached to it. More every day.

Early in the discussion there was talk about taking the lost dog to the vet and checking to see if the animal is chipped.

What is the right thing to do?

I see it as a clear case of doing the best one can do to find the dog's owner. People can be separated from a dog they love and take great care of for all kinds of reasons. A child may be involved. The point is… we don't KNOW anything that makes keeping the dog the right thing to do. But the person finding the dog is being talked into keeping the dog by people that are giving bad advice. Not only is the person keeping the dog going to keep it because it is easier to do the wrong thing… but the people justifying their advice are doing the wrong thing because it is easier than giving advice that would possibly result in a better outcome for the dog but hurt the person they like's feelings.

I know of 2 different people that lost their dogs at camping resorts over the years and one was found several months later... the other never found. The one found had been scared by a loud noise like a fireworks (truck that backfired real loud) and it just took off running. The people stayed an extra week and had radio announcements and fliers and every vet and animal control in a 50 mile radius notified. Turns out someone found the dog running alongside the road and picked it up and just thought it was a stray and took it with them. It was over 100 miles away from where it got scared/lost. They finally took it to a vet when it got an injury, and it had been chipped and the vet scanned it when they mentioned they had found it abandoned....

Sure, that is unusual, but I have other friends that had dogs STOLEN.... and one was sold to a guy who sold it to another guy and when they were trying to sell it, the new people had it checked for a chip and found out that it was in some national database that it had been stolen.... the other one was found emaciated running loose where it had been dumped about 100 miles away and would not get near anyone and it was obvious it had been abused.....
Another found their dog dead about a month later and since it had been a guardian for the family, they assumed who stole it had not been able to sell it and had killed it....

Granted these were all purebred type dogs and there is a black market on some breeds... and 2 of these dogs were inside fenced yards and one was on the chain when the owners weren't home as he would chase after their car too often.... the chain and all was taken with that dog....

That said, I can understand that someone cannot spend their whole life looking for an animal that might have gotten loose or scared and taken off... especially if they are traveling... so I can see where @Travlr is coming from.
And I admire all the people that have tried to find a home for the dog up your way @Nesikep ... but if he came from out of the area for whatever reason, the owners might not have known about it. He looked to be fairly well taken care of in your pictures even since he was lost.... so that is why I asked about the chip in case he got lost from someone.... If he is chipped; and it comes up that he is missing from somewhere, a reunion will tell immediately if the previous owner and the dog have a good relationship..... or if they really care....

In the meantime, it looks like he has a home now... and I am glad that you have given it to him.

There are endless scenarios that could play out. He may have lost his person.

Years ago I lost one of my hounds. Three of them hit a cold trail late in the day. By dark
I could hear nothing of them. Rained hard that night. I found two of them, Hanna and
Little Mira, early the next morning at a watchman's trailer. Both very foot sore. The other
hound, Elmira, was nowhere to be found. I spent 3 weeks running the roads and talking
to people. No one had seen her, heard any hound or seen any tracks. The weather had turned
really cold, snow and sleet.

A month after I lost Elmira I received her collar in the mail with a note saying she had starved
to death over on the east side of the Kalmiopsis Wilderness. We had been hunting west of that
wilderness area in the Pistol River drainage. How she wound up there I will never know. The
distance she would have had to travel as the crow flies would have been 25-30 miles. She
should have returned to the Pistol River drainage with the other two hounds instead of going
east. Why she starved was she would not allow anyone to catch her, so no one would put food
out for her.

I was told the reason the guy sold her to me was because when she would tree and when the
guy hiked into the tree, she would take off and hide out. In the time I had her she never pulled
off a tree. I always considered myself fortunate to have had Elmira, she was a super nice hound.
She loved puppies, it didn't matter if they were hers or not, they were all welcome to sleep in her
dog house and eat out of her dish.

Now back to the shepherd

This shepherd doesn't look like he has seen any real hard times. Keep feeding him. Someday there
maybe some answers to his past and how he came to be where he is. There are a lot of possibilities.
Not all people do facebook.

The animal shelter people in town know about him and where he is now, tons of posts about him, and most people who don't use facebook know someone that does. No collar on him, not neutered, super shy.. all these things really sound like a dumped dog.. he's been all over he//s half acre here, being sighted about 30 miles away in pretty much every direction. Not a peep from anyone missing a dog (well, there have been lots of dogs posted missing and reunited with their owners an hour later, but not this one)

I agree with you @Nesikep ... my post was mostly in support of the post that @Travlr made about the "possibility" that he was lost.... as I have known several in those situations. The fact that he has been so well "recorded" in your area leans to the "dumped" scenario.... WHY ... is the question. That would be my thoughts and unless he is chipped and winds up in a "stolen" database... then what you have done and are doing is the very best thing for this dog.... I fully support your keeping him and it sounds as if your mom especially is liking him too..... if they ever do find he was just dumped because someone just didn't want him, they ought to string the "dumpers" by their "set"......
He is a beautiful dog and I hope that he soon trusts you enough to be able to check for the chip, and then go forth from there.....

I wound up with a beautiful White German Shepherd many years ago. Wandered into the farm, no collar, no ID.... called the vet's office, called the animal control/dog warden... they offered to come get him... I said no, he is fine, but if someone is looking for him I want them to be able to find him... I would be heartsick if he was mine and got lost....talked to the animal shelter.... had a few calls for a couple of months but none were his owners... had him for years and he was the best thing ever..... some kids in a big jacked up truck purposely swerved and hit him at the neighbors yard, he loved to go visit their kids; They saw them do it.....and when I took him to the vet, they were going to have do surgery to set the leg and he looked at me and whimpered when I left him, and he passed away overnight. The vet said he cried when I went out the door... and he thinks the dog thought I was abandoning him and just gave up..... broke my heart when they called me the next morning.... and they were pretty upset....

Regardless of where he came from, I hope he will be happy there with your family on the farm.

Have you ever stopped at a gas station while traveling to see relatives/friends five states away and let your dog run? How long can you afford to delay your trip?

Have you ever heard of people stealing a dog for a day or two and dumping it?

Doesn't it bother anyone that a kid may be involved?

The point being, until we KNOW... we DON'T know.
Travlr is right, in my professional days I came across all manner of tragic reasons why dogs got lost. It may well have been dumped but I would put that down the bottom of the list of why he has gone missing. Remember Nesi has not been able to handle him yet to get him scanned for a microchip so I doubt that anyone else has been able too.
You are going about it the right way Nesi, take your time, no hurry, patience will build his trust in you.

Ken