straw in bottom of tank

Help Support CattleToday:

can you not reach it with an empty cane holder.if not then that straw maybe as good as gone.your semen rep may have a way to reach it as well.

With almost all of the nitrogen out you can fish around with some pinchy lifter things and a flashlight. But the odds are that you need to just kiss it goodbye.

Get yourself another tank, transfer all the semen into it. Pour most of the liquid N out of the tank with the straw in the bottom. Then get yourself a styrofoam cooler and dump the remaining liquid N into it and hopefully the straw comes with it. Sometimes you have to shake the tank around a bit to get the straw to come, but they usually do. Maybe more hassle than the semen is worth, but depends on what it costs you.

Usually a semen rep can transfer your semen to a temp tank, dump your LN out and fish it out. Pain in the butt! Last time I did it I was able to use a metal coat hanger, transfer all my semen to one canaster and hook the straw in the end of the coat hanger. Took a bit of patience but it was my last straw and the cow was in the chute waiting. Lol. Got it done, all semen was well and after a few choice words all was right with my tank ;-) Best of Luck!
Double R

Not sure how he did it, but I told my Select Sires rep I had a straw in the bottom of the tank. He fished it out and put it in a new cane for me when he serviced the tank.

I have also gotten them out with a mechanics claw and a flashlight but only if you can see it easily. If it is down under the cone that some tanks have it might be hard to see but it can be done easier than you might think.

Circle H Ranch

A parts grabber is best but it takes a while. I ussually just let most of the nitrogen cook off and then do a REALLY quick grab.

Re: straw in bottom of tank
by cow pollinater » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 pm

A parts grabber is best but it takes a while. I ussually just let most of the nitrogen cook off and then do a REALLY quick grab.

You must be a lot skinnier and faster than your pic looks if you stick your arm and hand to the bottom of a tank of nitrogen and try to grab a straw of semen. Why would you encourage someone with advice like that joking or not?

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":3egu5b7d said:
You must be a lot skinnier and faster than your pic looks if you stick your arm and hand to the bottom of a tank of nitrogen and try to grab a straw of semen. Why would you encourage someone with advice like that joking or not?
Circle H Ranch
Apparantly you've never used one of these
Flexible.jpg

Just Picked one of those up!! Thanks Dun!
Sometimes the simplest answers are the hardest to come by ;-)
Will be MUCH easier than a coat hanger. But hey! Coat hanger worked in a pinch!
Happy New year Dun!!
Double R

Cattleman200":dyqtt60i said:
Re: straw in bottom of tank
by cow pollinater » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Circle H Ranch

That's really how I do it most of the time. It's a whole lot faster than going fishing. You must have me confused with someone else on the picture. I'm little guy. :nod:

Latest posts