Strangest hide colour...

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":q9fmrtdy said:
I have a scanner... shoot me a PM if you're serious about it. ;-)

Or, you can send them here, it would probably take a lot less time ;-) . It just occured to me that he could be a tarentaise. We had a calf last year that was solid red with a black nose and black hooves, and the tarentaise in her would have been pretty minimal. We also have a red Angus cow with a darker face and legs here too.

Karin,

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my mailing address. you can mail me the pictures. I'll scan them, post them and return the originals to you (on my dime) as well as email a copy to you.

The balls in your court.

randiliana":3fkjhppg said:
milkmaid":3fkjhppg said:
I have a scanner... shoot me a PM if you're serious about it. ;-)

Or, you can send them here, it would probably take a lot less time ;-) . It just occured to me that he could be a tarentaise. We had a calf last year that was solid red with a black nose and black hooves, and the tarentaise in her would have been pretty minimal. We also have a red Angus cow with a darker face and legs here too.
Thanks for the offers Nowland Farms, milkmaid and randiliana!

I took some pics yesterday of him so getting the film developed with another 15 pics to take may take a bit (unless I take some more today and finish the film up... ;-) ).

I just thought of it now and it might be less expensive and faster to send within Canada... Sorry to you Americans (no offence intended of course!) On second thought, I would rather trust myself with a digital...

BTW, he's no tarentaise, although we DO have a steer like that this year... all red, and I THINK we have a char like that too...
all really nice looking animals this year... maybe I could send some pics of some of the other calves...

Just my thoughts. I think I'd better let this post go until I can get some pics. And then some.

Another option: When you go to get the film developed, have them put the pics on a CD as well as the prints. Then you have a digital copy. Most photoshops have this capability and probably wouldnt cost much more than mailing the pic to someone else.

IluvABbeef":2tj4wres said:
Chris H":2tj4wres said:
Sounds like a younger calf that hasn't shed out the baby hair. It was probably born reddish and as it sheds it will turn black. Heads & legs will show the black first.

Thanks for the quotes. I think this calf is about 800 lbs now, probably a few months to becoming a yearling and you're probably right about the shedding part, although I sort of disagree with it. Mostly because he is red like that of a red angus. Might apply to horses, yeah, but to cattle.... gee I'll have to do some looking in to that...

Glacier Chateau a red angus bull in Genex AI stud has that look to him.

Is this the type of coloring your talking about?
DSC02467.jpg

If so.. this cow is out of a gray Brahman cow and a black Simmental bull. We get a lot of this type of coloring with this combination.. sometimes with white faces and legs also. [/img]

Latest posts