strange virus or sickness in beef cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford1

Reaction score
Has anyone encountered there cattle having these symtoms: Crusted brown or black nose that actually seems like the tissue dies but heels back up in about 7 days,swelling in head or legs and trouble walking well and lose of body weight very quickly.At least some of them are running temperatures also.

Vet doest'nt know we have sent in blood samples all have come back negative . We have resampled another one that just got it and sent it to the lab and a stool culture waiting to see wha tha says. Nothing is dying, a cow that had it just recovered on her own without any medication. I had one heifer that aborted last October and now looking back, I didnt notice some of the symptoms with her but I think she also had it in December. The cow that had it she has since calved and everything is fine with her and the calf. Not all of them get the swelling around their nose and head as extreme as the one cow did. All you may notice is the dark crusted nose and possibly losing some weight.

jerry27150":rqw1fyw8 said:
crusted nose sounds like rednose, usually in feedlot cattle but have seen it in cows
More commonly known as IBR

Latest posts