Strange phone call

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I got a strange phone call tonight from a fella wanting to mow a hay field I've let lay idle this year. The field is about 17 acres and I didn't need the hay nor did I want to spend the time or the money maintaining it this year so I just let it grow up with plans of burning it and putting it in production next year. I asked him why he wanted it mowed and he said he wanted it mowed so he could see the deer come across it during deer season. He went on to say he even new someone who would bale it. I asked him if he hunted back there and he said no that he didn't hunt deer. I then asked him if he didn't hunt deer then why should he care if you could see a deer run across it or not. He got slurry speached and said he didn't hunt dam deer he just wanted to know if I wanted him to mow it for me. I told him I hadn't seen it this year so I couldn't give him an answer till I saw it but I thought I'd just as soon burn it so as to recyle the nutrients for next year. Is there more to this story or what? Do you think I need to call him back and tell him my yard needs mowing?

I kinda know how the guy might feel if it is next door to his place. I've got a friend that lives out in the country who really don't deer hunt. He owns an eighty acre pasture up the road from him about a mile that I hunt and have taken several good dear from. He might go hunting the first morning and that's it for him. Next door to his house is a 320 acre pasture, that has been let go for about six years now. The deer use it to bed down and at nite come out and destroy his garden, fruit trees, and any landscape plants he puts out. The guy that owns the place won't let anyone hunt it or cut it. My friend finally called the game warden to see what could be done so he could at least raise a garden. They issued him a permit to take the deer at nite but after they are shot they cannot be removed. They can only lay there and rot. Kinda sickening to me, that a hunting experience for some kid, or grownup for that matter, along with good meat just goes to waist.

This field is at the very south end of my property and the closest house is a mile or so away. For him to get there he has to go through a locked gate and follow a three path for nearly a mile through the woods. This field does join one of his relatives property but this land has been grown up for as long as I can remember and if anything needs mowing it does. I know he has an alterior motive I just don't know what unless it is the hay.

Might be a chance to get some hay put up dry if you let someone else do it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jogeephus":3uaob6n8 said:
This field is at the very south end of my property and the closest house is a mile or so away. For him to get there he has to go through a locked gate and follow a three path for nearly a mile through the woods. This field does join one of his relatives property but this land has been grown up for as long as I can remember and if anything needs mowing it does. I know he has an alterior motive I just don't know what unless it is the hay.

Call the relative..........he knows.

i would ignore the joker.but honestly some people just love sticking their nose where it doesnt belong.

Gotta ask Jo. Did he sound drunk?

Now just thinking. this land is near his relatives place. Are they leasing out their hunting rights? Got paying hunters coming in?
They want to see the deer so they can shoot them.
Makes me suspicious now. He don't hunt deer, but wants to see them during hunting season.

Hhhhmmmm.

he's up to something. I'd just as soon keep him off.
JMHO.

Yes, he was drunk. Very drunk. It has something to do with making money off hunting and I think he was looking to make some money of the "horse hay" in the field. I imagine it would bale at least 170 rolls. This brings up another question. With the army worms as bad as they were this year why in heavens name have they chosen not to eat this field up. I was kinda hoping they would. This is going to be an exciting fire this winter. :lol2:

If you end up bailing it, let me know if you want to get rid of any, I could bring a trailer up and still be worthwhile since 5x4 rolls are about 65 bucks down here.

hooknline":3pa51h0k said:
If you end up bailing it, let me know if you want to get rid of any, I could bring a trailer up and still be worthwhile since 5x4 rolls are about 65 bucks down here.

I'll do that. If you get in a pinch I've got some last year rolls that I'll give you if you need them. I'll have to get a count on them but I'm pretty sure there is a trailer load of them maybe more.

Thx....doubt ill get pinched was just thinking about me and a friend....grass is doing well down here just late coming since rains didn't start till august. But if you get to a point of bailing it and just letting it rot.....
Back on topic tho, I wouldn't let any drunk besides myself use heavy equipment on my land.....too much liability

I luv herfrds":vpkarfk8 said:
Drunks and jackazz have no business operating equipment ;-)

This is true but if you've ever transplanted vegetables with this fella as I have you'd see there is a bonus of having a cooler at each end of the field.

Fred Belknap":19bfe69p said:
Joe maybe he is just trying to be a good neighbor. It happens every now and then.

Fred

It would be nice to have one so caring but he lives about 10 miles from this place. Its kinda hard to get to and well off the beaten path and a good piece behind a locked gate. I've had a lot of trouble with trespassers here cause I have to go out of my way to check on it. A few years ago some of the hunters (trespassers) took it on themselves to harrow up a portion of my hayfield to put in a food plot. Even went so far as to build a deer stand in a shade tree I had in the field. I'm almost positive he was looking to put some money in his pocket somehow whether it be hay or hunting. That's just the way he is.

Jogeephus":2rj47wkg said:
Fred Belknap":2rj47wkg said:
Joe maybe he is just trying to be a good neighbor. It happens every now and then.

Fred

It would be nice to have one so caring but he lives about 10 miles from this place. Its kinda hard to get to and well off the beaten path and a good piece behind a locked gate. I've had a lot of trouble with trespassers here cause I have to go out of my way to check on it. A few years ago some of the hunters (trespassers) took it on themselves to harrow up a portion of my hayfield to put in a food plot. Even went so far as to build a deer stand in a shade tree I had in the field. I'm almost positive he was looking to put some money in his pocket somehow whether it be hay or hunting. That's just the way he is.

That's pretty cheeky putting in a food plot on your land. Is it well posted. Could they be thinking it's someone else's land?

3waycross":2a4fdmbu said:
Jogeephus":2a4fdmbu said:
Fred Belknap":2a4fdmbu said:

Fred

That's pretty cheeky putting in a food plot on your land. Is it well posted. Could they be thinking it's someone else's land?
my sons got quite a selection of deer stands to choose from

I call them poachers, not hunters. I have found poachers and trespassers have no respect for other peoples properties. The state of Ga. needs to make armed trespassing a felony. Years ago i caught a couple poachers on my land and it got ugly, I had to hire a lawyer to defend myself, really not worth the trouble but i'll do it again if need be.

Latest posts