Strange Death

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This is for a friend, he has a dairy farm and yesterday morning the cow in question was just fine. Then last night when I went to round the cows up for eve. milking she was standing in the pasture with her mouth open, tougne sticking out, foaming at the mouth and her breathing was fast with a popping noise. When you touched her, she felt clammy, cold, and kinda damp. She also had muscle spasms and she hadn't produced hardly any milk since the morning milking. I brought her in to milk her and give her a shot, then when I left her out she fell in the parlor and died in less then 3 min. We found all these symtoms strange and we never saw this before (by the way she didn't have a temp.) Does anybody have any idea of what it was?! We are concerned that it could be a disease and could spread. Thank you for any help or suggestions!
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Jess,<br>What kind of cow was she? (just curious because I have a jersey and a couple of holstein heifers.)<br>I don't know alot about cattle, but I would call the vet and have him/her give their opinion. Some things that come to my mind are : could she have been bitten by a snake? could she have eaten something poison? Others on the board may have better ideas for you. <p>
<br>

[email protected]

Tim, she was a holstein cow. And the problem is right now our area is without a vet (we have one, but I wouldn't even let him look at a dead cow. He dosen't know what he is talking about and the only reason he is still in business is because his wife runs a small animal clinic and I think SHE supports HIM!) Wouldn't have been a snake, the only deadly ones we have are copperheads, and they aren't in our valley. <br>
<br>

is it too late to try and post her yourself?... (with precautions....?) could she have swallowed something (apple...) and had it lodged in her throat? then maybe moved and possibly choked her to death or went in her lung? it may sound dumb but is possible...
<br>

Moving a critter that sick is a mistake. Could be anaplasmoises, or what we call asthma. Bad water will also do that. All of the foregoing happens in a drought, best find out now. There will be more of the same.
<br>

Without a post mortem, all anyone can do is guess. It could be BRSV (yes, they can go that fast) which stands for Bovine Respiratory Syncitial Virus, to Magnesium deficiency. You're describing pulmonary edema, which can be caused by a lot of different things. To be honest, you likely also have lots of toxic plants that I'm not thinking of 'cause we don't have them here....Where are you located so that I can maybe help a bit more?<br>Vicki Cane<p>: This is for a friend, he has a dairy farm and yesterday morning the cow in question was just fine. Then last night when I went to round the cows up for eve. milking she was standing in the pasture with her mouth open, tougne sticking out, foaming at the mouth and her breathing was fast with a popping noise. When you touched her, she felt clammy, cold, and kinda damp. She also had muscle spasms and she hadn't produced hardly any milk since the morning milking. I brought her in to milk her and give her a shot, then when I left her out she fell in the parlor and died in less then 3 min. We found all these symtoms strange and we never saw this before (by the way she didn't have a temp.) Does anybody have any idea of what it was?! We are concerned that it could be a disease and could spread. Thank you for any help or suggestions! <p>
<br>

[email protected]

Vicki, thanks for the info. I live in Central PA. Even though I know it's possible for her to have eaten something, the cows had been out in the pasture every day for at least 2 months (and it's not a big pasture). I just am puzzled by the whole thing, and my neighbor was a little concerned that it could be a disease, but all the cows seem fine since then so I don't think so? Also the cow that died was older (maybe5-6 yrs). Thanks for anyother ideas.
<br>

[email protected]

If you've been receiving a lot of rain, and still have lush growth in the pasture, Mg deficiency is a possible, also AIP (atypical interstitial pneumonia) which is almost always new pasture induced.....builds up 3MI in the body and it's a pneumotoxin.....or wild purple mint?(Perilla frutescens) if it's really little pasture left.....<br>Also, if your vet is next to useless(which I truly hope isn't true) you should learn how to do a postmortem yourself. It is not difficult, and you can then at least know what part of her body seemed affected by this. Samples can be taken to the state lab (I'm sure penn state has facilities for farmers to send in to) and answers can be given. Samples must be submitted in the proper containers, and in 10% formalin, but this can certainly be done. Even the fluid from the eye can be used to diagnose Mg deficiency! I know I've seen books, videos and websites about doing PM's but I can't think of one offhand. Let me know if there's anything else I can do!<br>Vicki Cane DVM
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":14f9ghi6 said:
: This is for a friend, he has a dairy farm and yesterday morning the cow in question was just fine. Then last night when I went to round the cows up for eve. milking she was standing in the pasture with her mouth open, tougne sticking out, foaming at the mouth and her breathing was fast with a popping noise. When you touched her, she felt clammy, cold, and kinda damp. She also had muscle spasms and she hadn't produced hardly any milk since the morning milking. I brought her in to milk her and give her a shot, then when I left her out she fell in the parlor and died in less then 3 min. We found all these symtoms strange and we never saw this before (by the way she didn't have a temp.) Does anybody have any idea of what it was?! We are concerned that it could be a disease and could spread. Thank you for any help or suggestions! <p>Possibly she may have eaten something poisonous.<br>Do check out the following site which identifies 30 toxic plants/trees posing threats to both large & small animals:<p>www.vetmed.vt.edu/OutReach/online.html<p>Antidotes are also included within this site sponsored by VA Tech.<p>Though too late for you as was for me when needed, perhaps this site may be of value to others in future. <p><p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":zi8jz1z9 said:
: Without a post mortem, all anyone can do is guess. It could be BRSV (yes, they can go that fast) which stands for Bovine Respiratory Syncitial Virus, to Magnesium deficiency. You're describing pulmonary edema, which can be caused by a lot of different things. To be honest, you likely also have lots of toxic plants that I'm not thinking of 'cause we don't have them here....Where are you located so that I can maybe help a bit more?<br>: Vicki Cane<p>: : This is for a friend, he has a dairy farm and yesterday morning the cow in question was just fine. Then last night when I went to round the cows up for eve. milking she was standing in the pasture with her mouth open, tougne sticking out, foaming at the mouth and her breathing was fast with a popping noise. When you touched her, she felt clammy, cold, and kinda damp. She also had muscle spasms and she hadn't produced hardly any milk since the morning milking. I brought her in to milk her and give her a shot, then when I left her out she fell in the parlor and died in less then 3 min. We found all these symtoms strange and we never saw this before (by the way she didn't have a temp.) Does anybody have any idea of what it was?! We are concerned that it could be a disease and could spread. Thank you for any help or suggestions! <p>Another possibility could be organo-phosphate poisoning from contaminated feed, or other source.<br>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts