Strange Behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have been noticing some strange behavior lately from one of my red angus heifers. She is becoming very protective of .....me. :shock: Whenever I am out in the pasture she comes over and wants to be near me. When ever another cow or a dog gets near she puts herself between them and me and will sidle sideways in a circle to keep the offending critter from getting to me. She does not get very aggressive with the offender she just keeps that protective position. When the bull gets near me she bawls and comes running across the pasture and parks herself in between him and I. This is my most gentle animal in the pasture. No squeeze or headgate needed for her. The vet was over doing vaccinations and preg checks and was amazed that all I had to do was tuck her nose under my arm and let her forehead rest against my shoulder and he could do whatever he wanted with her and she would barely move.

It seemed that she started exhibiting this behavior after becoming prego. Has anyone had a cow imprint on them this way? She was not a bottle calf or very tame when we got her at about 8 months old. We tamed her down like the others to make it easier to work them it just seems to have stuck to her and she doesn't realize that she is a cow I guess.

HOSS":22xmuh5d said:
It seemed that she started exhibiting this behavior after becoming prego.

Maybe she thinks you're the daddy.... :lol: :shock: :lol:

it sounds like you have stumbled onto a good cow. :)

just hope she doesnt get carried away with her "protection" and i wonder what she will have to say when you make that calf bawl after tagging? ;-)

Since she's bred already that removes my only concern. If a cow gets attached and comes in heat they will sometimes mount you. They are heavy and it's as bad as being attacked by an agressive crazy cow.

dun

dun":e5cai3wt said:
Since she's bred already that removes my only concern. If a cow gets attached and comes in heat they will sometimes mount you. They are heavy and it's as bad as being attacked by an agressive crazy cow.

dun

that's a funny image... :D (dun with a cow on his back) :lol:

I never believed that an animal might mount a person until 3 or 4 years ago.

I had just had shoulder surgery and was standing in a guys heifer pen with him. There was a heifer in heat and I think even the birds were mounting her. I had my back to her and next thing you know I am in major pain. She put both of her front legs on my shoulders. I am a believer.

dun":3ofalesa said:

dun

This brings up images in my pea brain, Dun. I'm not even going to ask how you know about all this. :lol: :lol:

Remember, I've seen you, and you look far from being a 2000 lb bull. :D :D

Sorry, I just had to give you some grief on this one.

Don't laugh, it has happened to me, only it was an 1800 lb Holstein which tried to mount me. I was lucky she was in a tie stall at the time. I was milking cows back then, and have never forgotten.

I have had a cow imprint on me, and she was protective of me. She weighed 1980 lbs after a night's shrink at slaughter...as much as I liked having her around, she didn't get rebred one year. She was about 10 or so....simmental! And she was about 7 when I met her, so it's not always age related.

Vicky the vet":2hs9cq49 said:
Don't laugh, it has happened to me, only it was an 1800 lb Holstein which tried to mount me. I was lucky she was in a tie stall at the time. I was milking cows back then, and have never forgotten.

I have had a cow imprint on me, and she was protective of me. She weighed 1980 lbs after a night's shrink at slaughter...as much as I liked having her around, she didn't get rebred one year. She was about 10 or so....simmental! And she was about 7 when I met her, so it's not always age related.

a 2000 pound cow?

El_Putzo":1at4d2gk said:
dun":1at4d2gk said:

dun

This brings up images in my pea brain, Dun. I'm not even going to ask how you know about all this. :lol: :lol:

I'm the closest thing to a bull that these girls ever see.

dun

dun":2lhxkln0 said:
El_Putzo":2lhxkln0 said:
dun":2lhxkln0 said:

dun

I'm the closest thing to a bull that these girls ever see.

dun

closest thing to a bull?...well if your close to a bull...thats means you aint a bull...so what'd be the next closest thing?...a steer? :?: :?: :?: ...you must have been experimenting with the bander? :shock:

just kiddin with you :)

have a good day

Heritage_Farmboy":2wb9qnr9 said:
Vicky the vet":2wb9qnr9 said:

a 2000 pound cow?

I saw a 2200 pound Charolais cow at the sale barn a couple of years ago. A farmer was selling out his herd of purebred Charolais, and every cow that came through the ring was bigger than the last one. Finally, after an 1850 pounder came through, my father-in-law said, "Surely they can't get any bigger." About that time, this cow pushes the door open with her head and squeezes in. The scales rung her up at 2200 pounds, and I swear she was 66 inches at the shoulder.

I can just see my bulls in the pasture with her. They'd probably be intimidated by her. :shock: It'd be like crawling in bed with a female body builder. I'd be scared to death. :lol:

:lol: I expected allot of replies like this....ya'll are so predictable :lol:

She has never tried to mount me (nor I her :lol: ) she just shows protective traits. I hope she let's me work with the calf though. It will be interesting to see if she tries running me over the fence when she calves.

Latest posts