Straight truck vs trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":3cqba0ec said:
As an older unit, I recall when we did haul everything with trucks....

Stock trailers were the second greatest invention only to the round baler....

I would never go back to either one......(livestock trucks or small square bales).

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And especially straight trucks with pups!

I never had the misfortune to deal with square bales, but once I got a good round baler, I don't want to go back to loose hay either. :nod: The price of the gas alone that we put through the DC and Super M's would scare a guy today! :shock: :shock: :shock:

pdfangus":1e9092ed said:

I would never go back to either one......(livestock trucks or small square bales).
Remember often seeing old half ton pickups with wooden side frames on them and an old cow riding in the bed looking out over the cab. No idea how they got her off. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":2oy53gdq said:
pdfangus":2oy53gdq said:

Remember often seeing old half ton pickups with wooden side frames on them and an old cow riding in the bed looking out over the cab. No idea how they got her off. :lol2: :lol2:

I still see it at the salebarns from time to time but mostly metal sides.

TexasBred":2pa8d5iu said:
pdfangus":2pa8d5iu said:

Getting her off is a piece of cake, getting her where and how you want is a whole nother ball of wax!!! My dad and grandfather lost a bull out of a one ton cattle truck In the middle of downtown Johnson City. He pulled up to a red light behind a guy that had a cow that was in heat and the bull decided that he was more interested in the cow than going for a ride. The bull jumped over the front rack' slid off the hood, and took off. Dad said catching him in the middle of jc made for a rather interesting eveing.

TexasBred":1qsb179a said:
pdfangus":1qsb179a said:

Most everyone had a steel stock rack on a pickup around here. WW and Little Scotchman were by far the most popular brands.

I remember back in the 70's a neighbor bought a Hereford bull and loaded him up at the auction. Neighbor had fogotten to bolt the stock rack down to the box. Bull stuck his horns through the bars and threw the stock rack out of the pickup. Then the sale barn crew had to have a little roundup. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ah, the good ol' days! :cboy:

My neighbor tries to pick up stock racks cheap at auctions. He uses them for sheep panels and gates. :idea:

John, that's a pretty good idea... I just missed a pretty decent one at an auction for $31 bucks.. it was an online auction and I'd have had to drive 200 miles to get it, so it would have cost a lot more by the end of it, didn't win any other bids there either.

Back in the 1970's, nearly every farmer around here had a 2 ton truck. Most had a flatbed with a set of grain sides and a set of stock racks - used that one truck to haul everything. Some of the nicer ones had hydraulic dump beds - if not, most of the grain elevators had a hoist that you parked the front axle over and it would lift up the whole front end of the truck to dump the grain. Somewhere in the late 70's round balers and gooseneck stock trailers started getting popular, and then came grain carts and belly dump semi trailers, and the old 2 tons all faded away. Like most everybody else, I wouldn't want to go back to 'em.

The other thing that we had back in those days was almost every set of pens had a ramped loading chute. They faded away too - now the only ones that do are the ones set up to load pots. Unless all you ever did was haul from your own farm to a sale barn, you'd need one of those portable loading chutes to pull around behind you everywhere you go. In this part of the world where almost every cattleman has several different places scattered around with cattle on them, that would get old pretty fast.

As far as legality goes, there's probably not a whole lot of difference if gvw's are equal, but I'll bet (around here at least) you'd draw more attention from the DOT than a pickup/trailer combination...

Nesikep":sj25un5s said:
John, that's a pretty good idea... I just missed a pretty decent one at an auction for $31 bucks.. it was an online auction and I'd have had to drive 200 miles to get it, so it would have cost a lot more by the end of it, didn't win any other bids there either.

$31 is a good deal, but the mileage would be a killer. 8)

IMO a good stock rack <$50 is a good deal. I have seen them sell over $100 at times though. :eek:

I gave mine to the neighbor with the sheep. It was given to me by another neighbor. I used it for a couple years. Neither of us used it as a stock rack ever again after we bought trailers.

dun":1fra5gjl said:
I've seen flatbed trailers that were set up with removable cattle hauling racks. Looked just like an open cattle trailer. The racks were tied down using the stake pockets and heavy ratchet straps. Killed 2 birds with one stone, a flatbed and a cattle hauler.
This is what I have.My father has a 20' GN and I have a 20' bumper pull. My father and I share it and it works good for us. The insert was a FFA project that I bought used and its very stout. In the pic is my old trailer with 5200 lb axles. My new one has 6k axles and the GN has 7k. We run farm plates, so the CDL requirements do not affect us. I bought the insert for 1000.00, its nice to have. I can haul hay,tractors and cattle with the same trailer. Nice not to have the upkeep for several trailers...especially tires.

John SD":3stypqgi said:
TheFutureFarmer":3stypqgi said:
That looks awesome!

Agreed! ..... but it won't win any beauty contests alongside the shiny new aluminum trailers at the sale barn parking lot! :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree but it sure is easier to pay for and increase the profit margin. I just bought 5 gallons of H&P gray paint, to paint it with and I got new drums...high tek redneck now :banana:

Latest posts