Straight Fence line

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
:help: I am fencing in a pasture and have noticed my fence is not straight as I like for it to be and basically the terrain is not cooperating with me in some places... I use a string and line level to try to make the line straight but I think my problem with them not being exactly in a straight line came from the post holes not dug exactly straight and this is why my line isnt straight when i put the line up for the posts. Does anyone have any tricks I can steal from them? This is the first barb wire fence I have ever put up I am use to using conduit driven into ground with electric fence and insulators attached to it. :help:

One way that works is to start by putting in the corners and pulling a strand of wire between them and using the wire as a guide for digging holes or driving in t-posts. You then have to eyeball every single post as you put them in the ground to keep the line straight. Put the first post in the middle, then one between the middle and each end. You will have to take the time to go to one of the corner posts to eyeball these first three posts. Staple to these posts and then continue putting in posts in any order and eyeball each post you put in until you're finished.

Good point but how do i keep the auger from getting tangled up in that one strand... I tried that and it didnt pan out so well.

Just tell peole you're building an Ozark fence. Anything within 3 foot of the center line is considered straight

skyhightree1":2h9s7i1j said:
Good point but how do i keep the auger from getting tangled up in that one strand... I tried that and it didnt pan out so well.

After you have the wire line (string line) pulled. Take a nail and a pice of paper, flaging tape or anything you can see from the tractor and mark the center of the hole. Pull the line out of the way and drill the hole. Put the auger point on the nail (allowing for natural drift, this is something you just have to figure out) If the auger does drift a bit, when you clean the hole with post hole diggers you just have to shave the hole in order to get the post back in line.

skyhightree1":2zszqnto said:

Drive a T post slightly in to the ground an an angle, about a foot out of line. The T post only needs to be deep enough to hold the wire out of line. Lift the wire over it after you have your mark and tie it low with tie wire. Once your post is set, lift the wire back over and pull the T post.

Thanks for your help.... I will try these practices.... I thought about running some mason twine alone the poles and keeping closely to the ground and using marker paint and paint on the twine where the post needs to be dug and on the ground and try to allow enough wiggle room for the line to be pulled and line to be on the pole before filling in the hole. lol if its not very straight I will use dun's suggestion...lol

I use a can of marker paint to mark the spot to put the auger. I bought a "gun" to hold a can so I don't have to bend over when we first started building fence at the new place, and it was a good $17 investment.

A word of caution. Make sure the wire is secured out of the way. I had one come loose once from the T-post and hit the auger. I was watching and shut the PTO down as soon as it happened. Kind of scary to think about it getting wrappped up and breaking under tension. Now I tie a rope to the wire and tie the other end to something solid like my truck or a tree.

jkwilson":1vq8mgup said:
A word of caution. Make sure the wire is secured out of the way. I had one come loose once from the T-post and hit the auger. I was watching and shut the PTO down as soon as it happened. Kind of scary to think about it getting wrappped up and breaking under tension.
Daddy was just telling me the other day about a fella he knew that had to have a leg amputated after an accident like that. It can happen so fast.

jkwilson":5c8q4wrg said:
I use a can of marker paint to mark the spot to put the auger. I bought a "gun" to hold a can so I don't have to bend over when we first started building fence at the new place, and it was a good $17 investment.

A word of caution. Make sure the wire is secured out of the way. I had one come loose once from the T-post and hit the auger. I was watching and shut the PTO down as soon as it happened. Kind of scary to think about it getting wrappped up and breaking under tension. Now I tie a rope to the wire and tie the other end to something solid like my truck or a tree.

Thanks I greatly appreciate that.

The way I do it is set the corners and pull a masons line between the post. Pull it tight as the wind will will make an azz out of you. I set, as some call them, stringers or stretchers every 200 feet and a line post every 100. I just mark the hole with the post-hole diggers, pull the string back out of the way and stick the post-hole diggers in the ground to hold the string, and use the auger to dig the hole. After I get those set, I will cut a gauge or story pole out of a piece of cane or strip of wood, the length that I want my steel post apart, and lay it on the ground to measure the distance as I'm driving the steel post. I use to cut one for the height of the post but after a thousand or so, you can get pretty close without it. As you said, put the string as close to the ground as you can its easier to straighten the tops later. If you have a really long run set the corners measure for your stringers and have someone stand at one end and line you up with the other corner, be careful who you choose as my strait is not the same as some of the ones I have had helping me. The main thing to remember is put all the post and inside corners on the outside of the line, and outside corners to the inside. I hope this helps.

What I did on long runs that were too far for a string or a wire was used my deer rifile, aimed from one corner to the other and had a friend line up a few flagged rods with the cross hairs of the scope. Where the rods were I built some H braces and then ran a single stand of wire from them to the corners to keep the tee post lined up. Fence came out straight as an arrow. One main thing is to make sure the gun isn't loaded cause your helper will be in your sights.

Lot of good ideas here. Always seems if I send hired help to drive T post, they'll push the string about every third post and before long they're way off. I've never actually witnessed it, but when I make them pull those out and start over, I'll bet when I'm gone they call me some names that would have to be converted to "be nice" :lol2: .

Larry

I use a tractor loader to drive my T posts in. A couple 2" pvc pipes cut to the fence height will help level the post tops. Just slide them over the t posts and push down with loader bucket until post is flush with pvc pipe. It also keeps the t post from snagging on any wire you may already have pulled. I'll usually go back with a sledge hammer to make final adjustments after the top wire is pulled tight.

AuburnFan":vxfvtosk said:
I use a tractor loader to drive my T posts in. A couple 2" pvc pipes cut to the fence height will help level the post tops. Just slide them over the t posts and push down with loader bucket until post is flush with pvc pipe. It also keeps the t post from snagging on any wire you may already have pulled. I'll usually go back with a sledge hammer to make final adjustments after the top wire is pulled tight.

My trick, since I'm doing this by myself....... lay the post out on sawhorses with the tops even. Measure from the top how much you want sticking out of the ground, take a board and lay it across the lined up post at what is ground level. Take a can of spraypaint and mark the post on that line. All you have to do then is "stick" the post (couple licks with a post driver to keep them from falling over) and then come back and push them in until the paint is in the ground.