Straddling the Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
For several years I've been thinking of building a board fence. I've vacillated back and forth finding reasons to and reasons not to do this but yesterday I made up my mind and am going to go forward. Lumber is being loaded on a truck today should be delivered tomorrow. The reason I wanted a board fence is purely aesthetics but hopefully it will pay for itself in other ways later on. When finished, I think I may have the prettiest field in the county and in a round about way I will have done my civic duty for my fair city. Will post picture when done.

Jo, how big is this fence going to be? You mention "Field" and all I can picture is a wooden horse fence around the property.

I'm just going to put the board fence along the road frontage. The city took some of Obama's Shovel Ready grant money and planted a bunch of landscape plants down the right of way in front of my property which happens to be in the county. Its one of the main entrances to the city and I have to admit it does look good. Don't know if Obama created any jobs for the citizens with this expenditure but I'm sure the Mexicans that did the work appreciated it. Of course they screwed up my survey corners three times doing the work but I bit my tongue and had the surveyor reset them - three times.

Anyhow, its not but a little over 800 feet and I think a board fence would really look nice with all the plants in front of it. A big plus is I won't have to worry about maintaining the weeds around the fence because the city will take care of all this during the maintenance of the beds. I think it will look nice and I think the chamber of commerce will be happy.

M5farm":2t00s6cg said:
I picture a 20' high fence built like a fort with a draw bridge gate.

None of that but funnily enough I do have plans to build a wooden hanging bridge if I can get approval from the government but thinking about it a draw bridge might work all the same. :lol2:

Red Bull Breeder":2t00s6cg said:
Has someone said you couldn't build a board fence??

Not yet. But THEY don't know what I'm up to yet so just give them time. This is on the property I bought some years ago with plans of opening a farm to table business on. The government has given me nothing but grief every time I have done anything on the property. This is where I have the navigable stream which is also where I have plans of building the hanging suspension bridge for the children.

Do you know if there is some law preventing you from crossing navigable waters with a suspension bridge? You reckon this will be a threat to some muscles or something? Or maybe a lizard. Or a salamander. Probably need to give the EPD the $5000 they tried to shake me down on for the environmental impact plan they wanted when the screwed with me the last time I did something on this property. But lets not forget the Indians. Probably need to pay them to come out like you do on a cell phone tower to be sure I'm not desecrating some burial site. Am told that's only $10,000. And then the fee for the historic folks. Another $10,000 am told.

Or maybe I should keep my promise to the EPD agent where I promised him if he would just leave me alone I would promise not to build anything that would create any jobs for the 20% who are unemployed in our county. That would be the safe thing. Less stressful. If I did that I might just ought to give the property to the county like they asked me to. They said this would be a good gesture on my part to the citizens if I did this. I did offer to sell it to them though. At what price they asked. I thought it only fair they pay me $250,000/acre just like they had recently paid the chairman of the county commission for his property. And to condemn it like they did his so I wouldn't have to pay taxes on it. That only seems fair doesn't it? For some reason they didn't think so.

Jogeephus said:
For several years I've been thinking of building a board fence. I've vacillated back and forth finding reasons to and reasons not to do this but yesterday I made up my mind and am going to go forward. Lumber is being loaded on a truck today should be delivered tomorrow. The reason I wanted a board fence is purely aesthetics but hopefully it will pay for itself in other ways later on. When finished, I think I may have the prettiest field in the county and in a round about way I will have done my civic duty for my fair city. Will post picture when done.[/quote

Stradling fence all you get is a sore crotch.
Neighbor has one it is pretty he had to make it hot on the pasture side.
Cows thought they had a long scratching post.

Still have to hang some gates but for the most part its finished and I am pleased at how it turned out. Oh, and I'd like to thank you folks for the nice landscape plants your tax dollars bought me. :hide: :lol2:

Jogeephus":3lssh31s said:
Still have to hang some gates but for the most part its finished and I am pleased at how it turned out. Oh, and I'd like to thank you folks for the nice landscape plants your tax dollars bought me. :hide: :lol2:

looks good Jo as long as my tax dollars were used for you I am ok with it :lol2:

Jogeephus":2ksvonky said:

That is beautiful as long as it stays at your place.
I got enough to do already the Mrs. would have me planting anything and everything
that had to be trimmed. I would go broke with her designing and redesigning that fence row.

TexasBred":2nyjyjc4 said:
Now you just gotta get you two or three horses Joe. :hide:

That will be the day. :lol2:

CB, the beauty of this flower bed is I don't have to do a thing to it. Will have those crews wearing the funky orange pajamas tending to the beds. MIght even be able to slip the guard a few bucks and get him to have the boys paint the fence for me. :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":2z6z3hwy said:

That sure is pretty!
Is that a wide angle view of your navigable waterway?
Needs riparian planting on the other side too.
And btw, them wooden fences need painted every 2 - 3 years. Nice job for the kids.

regolith":2ayry86y said:
Is that a wide angle view of your navigable waterway?Needs riparian planting on the other side too.

No, the navigable waterway is on the other side of the property and doesn't have this much water in it. At this spot, our helpful government servant demanded that I place silt fencing and chastised me for dumping dirt in the ROW even though I had left over 20 feet of undisturbed turf on my property as a buffer between my grade work and the ROW.

Incidentally, just off from the third tree in the picture is the spot where I had envisioned using the backhoe to dig this boys grave had he kept messing with me.

I know all this sounds to crazy to be true but it is sadly true with no embellishment. As you can see from the photo, this is the environmental damage they are trying to keep you from doing. Its insane.

It is beautiful and insane! If a person around here, wanted something like what you have pictured, it would cost them a fortune! And I guarantee you the Gov't sure as heck wouldn't be funding it.

I guess this is just another reminder of why i don't wnat to live in Georgia. Nothing personal Jogee. But then again....there are some goofy goings on beginning to happen here in Va. as well.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":1phclw1q said:
It is beautiful and insane! If a person around here, wanted something like what you have pictured, it would cost them a fortune! And I guarantee you the Gov't sure as heck wouldn't be funding it.

I guess this is just another reminder of why i don't wnat to live in Georgia. Nothing personal Jogee. But then again....there are some goofy goings on beginning to happen here in Va. as well.

Katherine

Katherine, I hope you didn't get the impression the government paid for my fence. They didn't. All the flowers and stuff came from Obama's Stimulus for those shovel ready jobs he promised and was planted on the state right of way. Its a waste of money I agree but so was the $50,000 they spent on billboards to attract people off I-75 to my little town. I mean, if you weren't coming to visit me there is nothing else here to see. Unfortunately, we have a transplant from San Francisco who sees it as their job to Californicate our little town and all he and his cohorts do is solicit grants from the federal government. The problem with these grants are the strings attached to them. Its these strings which have caused me all the trouble I have spoken of but the average person doesn't see the harm but its these strings that have kept stymied growth and job creation in my area.

No, I won't take their money but being the shrubbery is there I might as well capitalize off them. I did the fence because I wanted to. Spent my tax refund on it. No telling what I would have done had they not kept most of it.