story bout a bullcalf.....

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
so I sold a feed customer a bullcalf. purebred not reg beefmaster at 4 mos. he wanted it cheap so I told him hed hafta take it early unworked or weaned etc...sooo
he came and picked it up at 5 mos since I felt at 4 he wasn't ready. now he was grazing and bunkbroke so gotta go. call the guy up and he comes and loads em up no problem. I tell him a story out a woman I sold one to who just turned it loose and it ran thru the fence and she never got it back....
he says he will put it in a round pen for th night and then into a small pasture by his house. idk what he has for fence or other animals but I think he has 2 other cows...so he wants to breed them in the future so that's why he bought it.
the next morning I get a call he just had to go get it from his neighbors front yard. we have a good laugh. told him hes looking for his momma. later in the day I get another call that he crashed thru the fence and took off into the pasture with all the neighbors cows. I told him get a bucket full of feed and shake it since hes used to that.
idk if he got him back or not. I feel bad but warned him to keep him in a secure place for a few days.
being a cowboy aint easy

Proves he's healthy and that's better than getting a call telling you the buzzards were on him this morning. You've done your job.

When I sell one I always tells people keep them penned for a few days till they settle down. I always wandered how many follow the advice.

I think the advice should be extended to include "with a buddy".. While the last bull I got was totally laid back and slept in the trailer for most of the trip, when he got home, he ambled out of the trailer and went to a heifer I had waiting for him

Guess if he wasn't willing to listen then that's his problem, but you have to feel bad for the calf since he was thrust into unfamiliar circumstances and just wanted to "go home".

Anyone that takes a single animal to a strange place and turns it out with only "pasture fences" deserves to have some trouble with it. We bring new animals to the barn, keep them in the barn lot for a couple of days or in the lots adjacent, so we can keep an eye on them. Feed hay, a little grain in the bunk and call them to come eat, watch them close for any problems. Try to have some other animal that knows us and our routine so the new one can learn the ropes. A couple of days, sometimes only 24 hours, and they figure out that we aren't the bad guys, that the other cows come when we call, so okay...we will too.
The only time I guess we will turn one right out is if it is a bull, and the cows are right there at the gate almost...but honestly, I can't remember ever buying a bull and turning him right out either. We try to have enough bulls to be able to keep a new one around for some observation before we need him to do any work. Get used to us a little and see how he reacts to us and all.

Nesikep":3ineazof said:
I think the advice should be extended to include "with a buddy".. While the last bull I got was totally laid back and slept in the trailer for most of the trip, when he got home, he ambled out of the trailer and went to a heifer I had waiting for him

With a buddy is right on.

We carried a load of brafords over to a guys farm who we had questions whether he knew what he was doing but he was all to eager to let us know he was an expert. I really wondered about him after seeing his single hot wire around his property and this was hooked to to solar charger. We asked if he had a holding pen to put them in but he said they didn't need it and that the wire was a HOTWIRE. At his urging we opened the trailer and these brafords hit the ground running across the field and didn't give a moments pause when they hit the wire on the other side and just kept running. He looked at us and we looked at our watches and said we gotta get back and left his dumb azz to his education.

Jogeephus":1ifsr5vd said:
We carried a load of brafords over to a guys farm who we had questions whether he knew what he was doing but he was all to eager to let us know he was an expert. I really wondered about him after seeing his single hot wire around his property and this was hooked to to solar charger. We asked if he had a holding pen to put them in but he said they didn't need it and that the wire was a HOTWIRE. At his urging we opened the trailer and these brafords hit the ground running across the field and didn't give a moments pause when they hit the wire on the other side and just kept running. He looked at us and we looked at our watches and said we gotta get back and left his dumb azz to his education.

A neighbor of mine bought 14 sale barn cows and turned them loose on his property. He never ended up with a single calf, but he did catch two old cows that he starved to death. He's the same neighbor who's horse's won't stay out of my hay fields and off the side of the road.

I just got a text from him...he caught him with a bucket of feed ad gt him in a good pen..i told him to let the other cows go around the pen til they get used to each other..cpl days he will be fine....its all good

Jogeephus":ohgyey5f said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: he wasn't a Brafords expert.

dieselbeef":pzrkk9ys said:
I just got a text from him...he caught him with a bucket of feed ad gt him in a good pen..i told him to let the other cows go around the pen til they get used to each other..cpl days he will be fine....its all good

Thank goodness you had the calf trained. Maybe now he will pay a little more attention to what you said and things will go good for him. Sometimes you have to learn the lesson the hard way and luckily for everyone, it did not turn out to be a disaster. Hope it goes better from here on.

wacocowboy":2hdf2r7e said:
Jogeephus":2hdf2r7e said:

I believe I've told the story before. a retired old fellow finally with the little place he always wanted. The experts at tsc sold him the 5 strand smooth wire hot fence. Strainer s and springs and every gizmo that goes with it. Him and his son did a fine job. Exactly like the website said to do it. The reservation cattle
He bought out of the gatesville auction hadn't read the pamphlet or been to tsc. He called us after the calves went through his fence like the wind. We helped him get his cattle back tore out the toy fence and built him a proper one.
He said I should've known better. Never seen a fence like that

Back when I was raising Charolais, a man down the road wanted to buy a young bull calf so he could get him cheaper. I didn't agree to sell one, because it would have lost money for me in the long run, and no telling how they would have cared for him leading up to breeding age. Now a days I wouldn't because I like to have them pass a BSE before they change hands. Even if there was an agreement about no guarantees, if they didn't properly develop the calf there could still be some headaches from an unsatisfied customer. Hoping that all works out well with the bull and the new owner.

callmefence":245i6ht2 said:
wacocowboy":245i6ht2 said:
Jogeephus":245i6ht2 said:

I believe I've told the story before. a retired old fellow finally with the little place he always wanted. The experts at tsc sold him the 5 strand smooth wire hot fence. Strainer s and springs and every gizmo that goes with it. Him and his son did a fine job. Exactly like the website said to do it. The reservation cattle
He bought out of the gatesville auction hadn't read the pamphlet or been to tsc. He called us after the calves went through his fence like the wind. We helped him get his cattle back tore out the toy fence and built him a proper one.
He said I should've known better. Never seen a fence like that

All my fences are 6 strands of barb. In my opinion that is the only way to go.

Latest posts